4 yr. old whirlpool fridge

My fridge will run o.k. for a few days and then defrost long enough to melt all the stuff in the freezer. We replaced the defrost timer and the defrost thermostat and we are still having this problem. Where do we go from here? Is there anything else a DIY person can do or is it time to call in a professional? I'm so bugged that this relatively new fridge is not working!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,
Send me the model number and I'll see what I can come up with. It may indeed be time for a pro, but it sounds like you're on the right track. But the model number'll get us 'on the same page.'
God bless,
Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA www.DavesRepair.com snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com 570-363-2404
I'm a 32-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter. (Back issues now posted here too!) www.DavesRepair.com
John 3:3

snipped-for-privacy@outdoorstorage.net (jwood) wrote in message
Hi,
Model#? http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# helps.

Defrost how?....shuts off completly with the lights off, shuts off completly with the lights on, still is running but defrosts??

Any noises ( clicking ) when this defrosting occurs? Cleaned the condensor coils lately? http://www.applianceaid.com/clean_condenser.html

*If* the refrigerator is sitting there dead ( no noises ), and is defrosting with the light on....-lightly- tape the cold control/thermostat knob with a butter knife to see if maybe the cold control/thermostat is shutting off and forgetting to come back on.
jwood wrote:

whirlpool. Put it all back together and it seemed all was well. Wife called today and said the freezer ice was melting. The light was still on so the unit had power. I told her to advance the defrost timer manually and it came back on. Sounds similar to what you had happen.
After looking closely at the instructions on the timer (imagine that, who needs to read the instructions?) There is a lead that has to be put over one of the terminals to set how the defrost timers works. The old time had a ground lead coming out of it. I assumed that's what the new one was. I just changed my wire to the right position (i hope) tonight. Hopefully, all is now well. Look closely at your instructions and set the loose wire on the timer as required.
Bob