Big fireplace problem

My elderly relative has a big problem with his fireplace. A few years ago, he and his wife were sitting in the living room and were startled by a loud clunk. A fire brick had fallen down inside the chimney and hit the metal damper. Over a period of months they probably had a total of 3-4 fall. Perhaps this was because he built his fires too hot in the past, who knows. So for the last 8-9 years they have just not used the fireplace. However, at some point, he will need to sell the house, and disclose the fireplace problem, or the new owner could have a housefire. The question is, can this be repaired. It's a pretty large fireplace, but I don't recall the exact dimensions or whether a person can easily fit down into it (do they ever do that?) The fireplace is not on an outside wall but is on a common wall between the living room and a bedroom. I guess that would be the other option, however distasteful and costly--to tear through the sheetrock of the bedroom into the back of the chimney. Otherwise, he'd have to tell a new owner never to use the fireplace. Any thoughts/recommendations?

Reply to
GarySport

Jim85CJ