Whirlpool Fridge

My ~ 4 y/o Whirlpool side-by-side just isn't so cool all of a sudden.

yesterday fine, today puddles. ;.(

I can hear the fan(s), the light is still on.

what do you think is most likely - compressor failed? freon/refrigerant loss?

repairable?

thanks for any advice/experience

Martin

Just a guess you say today puddles and warm, your defrost is locked on. There is a clock timer I beleive it could be broke. I had an old frige it had a defrost off switch , possible look for one. but a new timer may be needed.

Reply to
m Ransley

This is Turtle.

Very Rarely do you ever see a Whirlpool compressor go out less than 5 years. The first thing comes to mine is the Defrost Timer, Defrost Terminator, or the Defrost Heating Element that has burnt. 50% of the time Defrost timer, 25% of the time the Defrost Terminator, and 25% of the time the Defrost Heater element.

Now you say just cool and not all the way out. It don't sound like a Compressor.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Hi,

Model#?

model# helps.

Is the compressor running? Both sections warmed up? Any strange noises? Any frost on the freezer back wall?

Too little info yet to go on, some common trouble makers....

Probably. jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

I would first check to see if the defroster is working properly. ice jams in air path between the freezer and fridge can cause the fridge to get warm

Reply to
Steve Stone

Possibly but not extremely likely. Is the compressor running??

Unlikely but if the compressor is running and it's not cooling, it is a remote possibility.

Probably. You can read about some possible causes at the following link.

My frost free refrigerator is not cooling properly. What might be the problem?

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Follow-up - thus far.

Well the good news is that Whirlpool warrantees all sealed cooling components for 5 years ! I was impressed. Got on the phone with them, they looked up my unit and knew it was 4 y/o

I DI D have to use an 'authorized' service provider - and they charge $69.50 for 'diagnosis' - which is not covered by warrantee (parts and labor only)

It's robbery, but they gotta live. Most outfits will charge that but take it out of the repair charge when you have them do the work. these guys know that I'm warrantee and can't go elsewhere (practically speaking)

Well, we'll see when they come in tomorrow.

thanks VERY much for your suggestions, glad I won't have to tackle it myself after all...

regards Martin

PS - Turtle - you never fail to be there for us!!

Hmm....not the way it worked when I did warranty repair - if this is a sealed system problem, you shouldn't be charged anything at all. Suggest that if this becomes an issue, you pay up in order to get things moving and take it up with Whirlpool later (Dan/Jeff - am I correct, or was this just a "Sears-ism"?)

Reply to
Mad Mac

That's a fairly standard refrigerator warranty. 1-year parts and labour, 5-years on the sealed refrigeration system. Check your owner's manual for details on your particular model.

Usually easy to do if you provide the serial number of the appliance or if you sent in the warranty registration card so they can call up your details on a computer.

It depends on the manufacturer. Some only warrant *the parts* of a sealed system and the consumer is responsible for the service charge AND labour (~$150+). Many will pay everything except mileage if outside a given service area.

I wonder if the problem will turn out to be the compressor relay and/or overload which are NOT part of the sealed system (which has the warranty) and the OP is going to have to pay for it all - parts, labour AND service charge!

I suspect that is why they quoted the diagnostic charge up-front. :(

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Of course, that is normal for any warranty related repairs.

You really think they take anything *out* of the final bill???

All such companies do is quote the price for the job *with that charge included*. But it apparently seems to give consumers the *illusion* as they're not paying it. Good marketing!

You can read about the *real* cost of providing home repair at the following and subsequent pages.

The Cost of Home Service

JFYI

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Hi MM,

Most warranties that we deal with do not cover a "trip charge" or "service call" after the first year.....but the parts and labour to install the rerigeration parts are covered and the system supplies (gas, welding stuff, ect).

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

And R12/134 by the ounce etc. Seems like the waiving of the trip charge was a "Sears-ism", then.

Reply to
Mad Mac

Reply to
Harlen Ng