4'x8' foam insulation panels question

Do those 4'x8' foam insulation panels commonly found in Lowes and HD have any issues regarding toxic fumes release?

Does sunlight hitting them cause vapor problems?

Thanks

Reply to
J A

What panels do you mean? The blue Styrofoam? The white bead foam? If so, they do not outgas anything and they are the same base material used in beverage cups.

They may degrade a bit over time exposed to sunlight. Give them a coat of latex paint.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

No, but fire does. Almost all of them require fire break (drywall) over them if used in living space. I hear there are exceptions, but I haven't personally managed to locate them. (I badly need to insulate my basement walls, but don't want to go to the expense/work of a studded wall to cover.)

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

There is a special fire retarding paint that can be applied over the foam. Cost is something like $50 a gallon.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski