35" Storm door?

I can find 32, 34, and 36. All the homes in my area use 35". That's a special order so much more expensive. I suppose I could add a wood strip or two and make it 34, but that seems an odd way to handle it.
Having never replaced a storm door before, I could use a bit of input. Seems easy enough, three hinges and I have a new door.

Check that you are measuring properly; actual door versus opening. 35" is not standard and I've never run across one in a house built since about 1960 or so.

Right! It seems no matter how many times I cut something it's always too short.

That's not cutting, that's filing. ;)
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 23:45:49 +0000 (UTC), "SteveBell"

Yes, it's a storm door so that makes it easier than dealing with removal of the main door.
I spent part of the weekend removing the moulding with a pry bar so I could see what I was dealing with. Once the moulding is off, each side of the opening has an 8" (roughly) plank attached to the brick and jamb. I'm not bothering to remove that; I just blew some foam into the gaps and caulked it.
But those planks only supported the moulding before; now they're going to have to support a metal door and frame. So I got some concrete/brick anchor-type things and put a few into each of the planks. Now they're in pretty firmly.
The door we wanted wasn't in stock though so we have to wait a few weeks. Once the door is installed, I'll see how much room is left for some nice new moulding. I'll likely have to add a plank at the bottom since the current brick step doesn't extend as far as the new door location.
Well, that's the plan anyway. Thanks for the input.
On Tuesday, October 7, 2008 9:29:53 AM UTC-4, dgk wrote:

I have the same 35in problem because the entry dooor is 36 inches but has a sidelight on each side. Because of the sidelights the trim between the doo r and the sidelights is 35 and a quarter inches. I can buy a 34in stormdoo r and get a expander thru anderson doors they are the same doors as larson. Has anyone ever had this probem and been able to solve?

Instead of using an expander, I would consider trimming the door out to make the correct width for just the door. I did that by using vinyl stock ripped to the correct thickness to center the door.
I hate expanders. They look like well...expanders.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

"On Tuesday, October 7, 2008 9:29:53 AM UTC-4, dgk wrote:"
I wonder if he found a solution in the last, almost 5 years?
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:13:48 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

sidelight on each side. Because of the sidelights the trim between the door and the sidelights is 35 and a quarter inches. I can buy a 34in stormdoor and get a expander thru anderson doors they are the same doors as larson. Has anyone ever had this probem and been able to solve? That is an odd size. Use a 34" and expanders. Many years ago I used to sell and install aluminum doors and windows as a sideline and that is the way we did it. On windows, their is a strip on the side you can tear off the make smaller to fit.

That sounds like too much work. Just use a 34" door. attach it with super glue, and cover the gap around the sides with duct tape.