27 cents a mile

Page 5 of 5
I took the price I paid, divided by the trip odometer. $30.85 / 114 = .2706

How do you get 27 cents a mile at $4.03 per gallon?
4.03 / 18 = .22388
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 12:29:27 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Then you are getting more like 14.9 MPG
Look behind your truck, are you still towing the boat?
Add pictures here
✖
Not boat, camper. ;)
More seriously, it's been killer humid, and I've had the defroster on.
wrote:>I took the price I paid, divided by the trip odometer. $30.85 / 114 = .2706

Then you are getting more like 14.9 MPG
Look behind your truck, are you still towing the boat?
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 8, 1:24 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

But seriously, which number is correct?
At $4.03 per, and $30.85 total, that's 7.655 gallons
114 miles divided by 7.655 gallons is 14.89 MPG.
You said you get 18 MPG. How did you determine that number?
Add pictures here
✖
I determined the 18 MPG by keeping track of fuel and miles, for several fill ups, after I got the vehicle.
But seriously, which number is correct?
At $4.03 per, and $30.85 total, that's 7.655 gallons
114 miles divided by 7.655 gallons is 14.89 MPG.
You said you get 18 MPG. How did you determine that number?
Add pictures here
✖

You do see the problem here, right? Let's go over all the figures one more time.
You told us that you determined that it cost you 0.27 per mile based on 18 MPG, which works out to $4.85 per gallon.
Then you told us the gas was actually only $4.03 per gallon.
Then you told us that it cost you $30.85, which at $4.03 per gallon means you bought 7.655 gallons.
You also said you drove 114 miles.
114 / 7.655 is 14.89 MPG, not 18 MPG.
So if it really does cost you $0.27 per mile, then you are not getting 18 MPG. Maybe you got 18 MPG when the truck was new (or new to you) or maybe you weren't towing a boat or maybe the truck is having problems now, but bottom line is your numbers don't work out to 18 MPG based on everything else you've told us.
Add pictures here
✖
I have a problem only with the cost of fuel. If you want to create any more problems for me, I don't appreciate it.
You do see the problem here, right? Let's go over all the figures one more time.
You told us that you determined that it cost you 0.27 per mile based on 18 MPG, which works out to $4.85 per gallon.
Then you told us the gas was actually only $4.03 per gallon.
Then you told us that it cost you $30.85, which at $4.03 per gallon means you bought 7.655 gallons.
You also said you drove 114 miles.
114 / 7.655 is 14.89 MPG, not 18 MPG.
So if it really does cost you $0.27 per mile, then you are not getting 18 MPG. Maybe you got 18 MPG when the truck was new (or new to you) or maybe you weren't towing a boat or maybe the truck is having problems now, but bottom line is your numbers don't work out to 18 MPG based on everything else you've told us.
Add pictures here
✖

I had a smaller v6 Dakota and I got no more than 13 going to work, stop and go.
Greg
Add pictures here
✖

I had a 70's stripped down van around 1980. I never measured town milage. Highway was 15 mpg. Had to be around 10 in town Electric pedal bikes and scooters, and gas, will become a lot more popular soon. Greg
Add pictures here
✖

I had 2 Ford E 150 vans with V-8s in them (72 and a 78). They both got 13 MPG +/- within the margin of error, in town, on the road, towing a boat or stacked to the windows with shingles.
Add pictures here
✖

My truck gets 9 mpg.
Add pictures here
✖
That's got to hurt.
My truck gets 9 mpg.
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 7, 4:59 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Isn't it deductible as a business expense? If so the allowance is somewhere up around the mid 40s.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

Of course it is. If he's worried about the cost of gasoline he's not charging enough for his service. I don't think it's feasible to be a handyman and not charge less than $50 an hour to provide the service. But so many people try to "out-McDonald's" the competition by charging lower and lower rates. All you get from that kind of charging is obnoxious, ungrateful customers who aren't worth dealing with.
Add pictures here
✖

I thought that was what capitalism was about? Dog eat dog? The way for ward is to be more efficient.
Add pictures here
✖

Economically illiterate lefties believe that.
Add pictures here
✖
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Bought some gasoline. Divide the numbers. Turns out to be about 27 cents a mile, to make my 18 MPG truck move. Ouch!!!!!
Won't be doing much home repairing, if I have to go for parts.
Don't you have a bicycle to get the parts??? ww
Add pictures here
✖
Now, that's an idea. I wonder if I can get a Chinese coolie, with a bicycle cart? I'll check the Harbor Freight web site.
Don't you have a bicycle to get the parts??? ww
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 22:19:05 +0000 (UTC), Red Green

There doesn't seem to actually be much that is "true" there.
Add pictures here
✖