21 Things a Burglar Won't Tell You

Page 4 of 6

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 21:21:46 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
[snip]

Right. There's nothing wrong with asking who someone is. Treating a person as a criminal (for no real reason) definitely IS wrong.

Mark Lloyd
On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 22:02:43 -0500, Mark Lloyd

I always start out by introducing myself. Then the ball is in their court. Most people who are just out for a walk will end up talking longer than I want to be there and tell me more than I want to know about them. Beyond that it is simply profiling. Sue me
Sam E wrote:

Certainly.
"Suspected" of anything is not a crime.

It's called "preemption."
Jon Danniken wrote:

I love working on engines, but does that make me a "crank addict"? It takes about an hour to pull a "crank" from an engine. Police response times in your area must be the pits! :-)

Yeah, they tow the car to a "friendly" garage first. ;-)

I live in a place so remote that NO ONE walks by. Anyone not in/on a vehicle would be suspect. Plus, since it's a narrow two-lane road, the thief would have to pull off onto the shoulder or into a driveway. Not exactly subtle. Still, no one out here locks much of anything unless you're going on vacation.
G. Morgan wrote:

http://www.rd.com/your-america-inspiring-people-and-stories/slideshow-13-things-a-burglar-wont-tell-you/article163491.html [...]
Heh! I bet the burglar would also say "I don't like this sign:"
Attention Thieves: 1. We never respond to an unexpected knock. 2. We are armed.
Conversely:
Attention Thieves: 1. There are no guns in this house 2. Be gentle

My doors all have a brightly colored sign saying:
BY THE TIME YOU READ THIS, YOU HAVE BEEN PHOTOGRAPHED AND VIDEO TAPED ALL IMAGES TRANSMITTED OFF-SITE
1D10T wrote:

Most burglars around these parts would have no idea what the second sentence means. A significant portion of them would have trouble with the first sentence. An obvious lit-up camera, even a dummy one, would have a greater deterrent effect.
I got robbed at least 3 times that I can recall in the apartments I moved from to this house, and another couple times in the apartment before that. Been here 49 months- no problems so far, knock on wood. (Other than getting TP'd once by kids.) Semi-rural location in a dead-end subdivision, and every 2nd or 3rd house having a dog, helps.
Oh, almost forgot- the final time my apartment got robbed, they were in there at least an hour- long enough to decant 3 5-gallon jugs of pennies into all my backpacks and duffel bags. Good thing they were too stupid to see the 2+ quarts of dimes sitting on the shelf not 2 feet away.
-- aem sends... -- aem sends...

So will my 145 pound mastiff - trained not to bark.

"1D10T" wrote:

One of my neighbors placed a sign on his mailbox warning that the place was under video surveillance. The postman told him he had to remove the sign. :^)
--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Lot's and lots of years ago, I was putting flyers in mail boxes in some of the newer home developement areas. I got a phone call from the postmaster in that area telling me that it was a Federal law that flyers could not be put in mail boxes, nor could anything be attached to the box related to business or advertising. $5 or 10,000.00 fine .... if I remember right.
I noticed also that quite a number of years ago, the local delivery newpapers were no longer being put in the mailboxes as they'd been for decades. Now they're thrown in peoples driveways. I guess the Post Office got to them too.
Although I no longer have anything to wrap up waste in, I haven't had a newspaper delivered for lots of years. Even though that now days, wraping waste is the only thing they're good for.

thank you. I have been looking for a sign to put up on our camera system at our cabins.
Steve

The only time I've taken the pictures to the police dep't. was when a city code enforcement officer was walking around taking pictures of my property. He wasn't wearing a uniform and his truck was parked out of sight. After that episode it became mandatory for inspectors to be in uniform and ask for permission to enter private property. It created quite a stir in our little community of 3500 people. I really only have two 'live' cameras, and three 'dummies'. It's amusing that in most of the photos, people are looking right into the lens.
Per 1D10T:

How you do dat?
CQC? mControl? Something else?
--
PeteCresswell

Hard wire. Sat uplink. Parabolic dish to a remote receiver. Fiber optic cable. Tin cans on a string.
Steve

As soon as it is a file on your hard drive, FTPing to a web site is trivial. There are dozens of free FTP clients on the net.
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

None of the above. There's no camera either... just a sign. :^)
--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

I actually do store a certain amount of video offsite. There are several methods, but the cheapest redundancy for most people IMO is to loop video to a 2nd recorder in a different part of the building.

FTP is usually the easiest way, but there are streaming methods as well. The advantage to FTP is you can re start it easily. With streaming it can be harder if your connection is lost. For short distances a (upto several miles) a point to point wireless connection could also work.