Subject Author Posted Replies

Heat your home with coal
"Coals vary in quality, but on average, a ton of coal contains about as much potential heat as 146 gallons of heating oil or 20,000 cubic feet of natural gas, according to the Energy Information...
60
60

Remove possible mildew
Our kitchen sink pipes broke. The pipes are fixable; however, I have no idea what's happening between the bottom of the sink and the floor. I'm not a carpenter and would prefer not to hire someone to...
8
8

Car generator to power house
It can be done - if you're smug enough.
126
126

Grommets as drain holes in canvas awning?
We installed a large retractable awning over the patio a few years ago. It works well except for one problem. If the awning is extended when it rains, the canvas gets wet, sags, and a lot of rain...
33
33

Ceiling fan switches
I recently bought a couple of ceiling fans from HD for my family room (see )and wired them in parallel. Didn't realize until I came to hook up the switch that it is only rated for 1.5A, and the fans...
5
5

Anything wrong with the Electrolux EL7055A canister vacuum cleaner?
Looking at the part numbers, apparently there might be something wrong with the Electrolux EL7055A canister vacuum cleaner. It's being sold as refurbished, while the slightly different model number...
4
4

How to fix these rotting floor joists
Hi, In working in my kitchen, I uncovered this mess in the floor joists near the door. 'm faced with the problem of how to fix this situation. I have cut off the part that was completely rotten. The...
9
9

Balenciaga "Giant Work" Motocycle Bag Khaki Collection
Balenciaga "Giant Work" Motocycle Bag Khaki Collection Handbags Collection Site : "Giant Work" Motocycle Bag Khaki View Full : "Giant Work" Motocycle Bag Khaki AdditionalInfo : Brand : Balenciaga...

"Best" underfloor hydronic heating system
Hi, A simple internest search reveals a bunch of competing underfloor hydronic heating systems. Has anyone had any experiences with any of these systems and could voice some opinions on the pros and...
6
6

The trap is set
A couple of months ago I noticed a baby opossum snitching some cat food from the bowl in the garage. "How cute," I thought. Knowing that opossums are the gypsies of the animal world, I had every...
19
19

Electrical wiring question
I'm planning to do some rewiring in my basement. When I examined the existing wiring, I found that there was a wire running from the breaker box through about 8 receptacles, and all 8 are (obviously)...
1
1

Sony Plasma takes 100 goes to turn on
It eventually turns on - but you have to press the remote 100 times and it tries to turn on but doesnt. s
20
20

Honeywell Q340A 30mV thermocouples
What's their usual lifetime in a furnace? Darn thing chooses Christmas morning to die on me. They never seem to last more than 3 years and this is with the pilot adjusted to minimum.
18
18

vacuum cleaner redux
Sort of apropos of the recent vacuum cleaner thread, I'm also in the market for a vacuum cleaner... requirements are: -quiet (this is a must; I was just vacuuming the living room and SWMBO retreated...
14
14

Stupid electric eye
I have 2 electric open garage doors. One has no gismos on it and it goes up and down fine. The other one has that goddamn electric eye that keeps getting out of line plus when the door is open the...
32
32