Subject Author Posted Replies

How to Install Roof Vent Guard?
I need to know the way to install a roof vent guard over a round roof vent fan. The round roof vent fan has a screen covering the air outlet. But the screen has no frame to stiffen it. Consequently,...

Dimmer controlled CFLs
Has anyone had any particularly good or bad experiences with dimmer controlled CFLs? There are a few bulbs I have seen recently which claim to allow dimmer control, but I am skeptical about how well a...
5
5

Durability of small screw in flourescents...?
Howdy, We use many of the (currently popular) screw in fluorescent bulbs. We often get 'em at Home Depot, and they have a seven year replacement warrantee. None have lasted more than two years, and,...
27
27

American Standard Champion Flush Valve Swap
I have one of the older American Standard elongated Champion toilets in the orthopedic height that lately has started to refill the tank frequently. Late at night it would get a bit annoying. It also...

Old oil boiler -- ceremonial disposal ideas.
Just put in a replacement oil boiler in my house. The old unit is a RSA110 -- welded steel -- which has suffered from a puffback, causing a few leaks in the sheet metal components (i.e. flue hood),...
20
20

Americans are so wild
I happened to be in the library today and I noticed the current (3/09) issue of Consumer Reports. I noticed on the cover something about how Americans indulge in "risky" behavior. The article touted...
11
11

Creating a steeper pitch in a dutch gutter - possible?
I have a dutch gutter that drains the storm water away to the gutter inlet that leads below to the courtyard deck and tie into a 4" pipe that drains outside. There are several issues associated with...
4
4

Leaking Insinkerator Badger 5 Plus 5
This unit has a few years on it and recently began leaking. The leak is coming from the location shown here: do see alot of posts about leaking from the bottom, but that isn't the case with this unit....
6
6

Pole Lamp Replacement
Our house is about 30 years old. When it was built, we had a pole lamp installed down at the end of the driveway. It was electric with the wires running in a piece of thin-wall conduit from the house...
5
5

Converting a Canned Light Fixture
I have one of those canned lights over my dining room table. I think that is what it is called. It is simply a round fixture, with a metal rim around it. Inside of it is a big light bulb. I see that...
4
4

Life Alert - Outlet bursts into flames
Has anyone seen that tv commerrcial for "Life Alert", where an outlet on the wall bursts into flames? Why would an outlet suddenly burst into flames like that? There was no smoke first or anything, it...
27
27

Washing MAchine trips breaker
------------------------------------- My washing machine fills with water then it humms for a few secounds then thetrips the breaker. What is causeing this?...
8
8

Laying Brick Over Concrete Steps?
Can anyone point me to DIY sites that can give me some tips and steps for laying half-thick bricks over concrete steps? The stoop on my late 70s house had some small settling over the past few years...
7
7

OT: Where to order a DTV converter
Andy comments: Just google " DTV Converter Sales" and you will be deluged with stores offering many brands at a wide variety of prices. The coupon that the government gives out usually lists many...
12
12

PEX plumbing connection preferences
I am getting ready to do some PEX plumbing for the first time and I am learning about the various types of PEX systems and connections. I have done copper and PVC/CPVC plumbing before but I want to...
23
23