Subject Author Posted Replies

What happened to----
What ever happened to the poster who had a problem with a ride on running for a short time then shuting off. After a period of time it would start and shut off again. The guy or gal was going to try...
7
7

Geyser water heater heat pump.
It makes distilled water. It heats the water for your water heater (you can cut the power on it) It dehumidifys your basement. It uses less than one third the power (runs on 110). Anybody tried one...
18
18

Electrical wiring: the "last inch"
The sub-thread up yonder about using 15-amp switches on 20-amp circuits got me to thinking. Actually, have been wondering about this for a long time, so here goes. The thing is, we have circuits where...
38
38

2 Paint questions
Which interior paint is best for 1 coat coverage ? What do think a Painter would charge to paint an average room ? Say 15x 12 ft.
16
16

Recycling CFLs: yeah, right!
In another thread discussing CFLs and their disposal, someone posted a link to what seems to be the more-or-less "official" fluorescent-lamp recycling site: site. But if one delves a little into the...
14
14

Switching GFCI devices
Hi: Because of a specific problem, I picked up a combination SPST switch and GFCI single outlet with a "load" connection. Anyway, the instructions clearly say that one should NOT use the switch to...
28
28

Gravel question
If a company says you need "x" number of tons of a certain type of gravel, how do they measure that? Will 22 tons of 2" cover the same area at the same depth of 22 tons of 3/4 inch stone? Hank
16
16

can't tell where window leak's coming from
We have a big window that leaks at the lower right hand corner when it rains. Nothing appears to be open anywhere inside or outside. We have steel siding and our builder came out and looked and said...
6
6

Frameless sliding shower door, width = 50 1/4 "
The standard widthes are below 48" and above 56". The custom-made ones are relatively expensive, and adding 1" metal expanders makes not a pretty door. I found a pivot one (Dreamline brand) that would...
1
1

Cutting cast iron pipe
I have a 3" cast iron vent pipe that I need to cut in order to rework some plumbing. I used a sawzall with a cast iron blade by Lenox and was able to cut through it after about 5 minutes....
4
4

European electrical codes
Does anyone know of any place online where I could learn something about european wire sizes, standard breaker sizes (like 15amp for lighting, 20 amps for recepticles, etc.) I would GUESS that, since...
1
1

Non slippery stones
Hi, I have a path made of (what I'm guessing is) keystone slats that goes from the sidewalk to my house door. When it rains the stones become *very* slick. Is that the property of all stones or are...
5
5

Shut Off Valve Trim Ring
This may just be an opportunity to slap myself on the head and say "doh", but .... Are shut-off valves the last task in a plumbing job? If not, how do you get the chrome trim (escutcheon?) between the...
3
3

Sears Garage Door Opener Model 139-653000 stopped
My Sears Garage Door Opener Model 139-653000 suddenly stopped working. At first, I heard the usual "click" but the motor made a humming sound instead of moving the door. I removed the cover and gave...
6
6

Repair damaged garage door
Any ideas how to repair a garage door pannel? It is an old, but standard garage door each of the five pannels is the same basic wide plank shap and appears to have been made with a thin skin over...
7
7