Repair damaged garage door

Any ideas how to repair a garage door pannel?

It is an old, but standard garage door each of the five pannels is the same basic wide plank shap and appears to have been made with a thin skin over something softer, maybe a styofoam product. It now has two dents (maybe a little over an inch deep and about three inches in diamitar. I have not been able to find matching pannels. I am thinking of trying some foam product and trying to re-paint the door. Hopefully I can use some sort of filler to come to a close match to the rest of the door in surface texture.

Any suggestions, experiences etc.

BTW I am trying to get the home ready for sale. It is investment property and overall it is not in great shape, but it is a lot better than it was a couple of months ago. In short I really don't want to invest much money as I doubt it will give a return.

Thanks

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

I've never tried it on a garage door but you can mix foam filler, sometimes called micro balloons, with epoxy to make a paste. Small amounts can be gotten at a hobby store. Use lots of filler andthe result will be easily sanded. Do the repair while the garage door is up and then it will be easy to make it level with the rest of the surface.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Your filler choice should be obvious, good old Bondo or similar auto body filler. Available almost everywhere, any auto supply store. Cures too fast to leave much time for texturing, but easy to hand work with a Dremel or some such if you want to mimic a wood grain. Pros smooth it level with a Stanley Surform (cheese grater) just after it begins to harden and that saves time sanding. Ready for primer/paint in a couple of hours.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Why did I not think of that. I have even used the stuff a few times. After all it is a garage door, it should have been the first thing that came to me.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

When you finish the job, store the Bondo in the fridge well sealed and you can keep it for many months for the next problem project. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I take it you live alone, or have a beer fridge in your garage?

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

SWMBO is tolerant of foibles. But, of course I have a beer fridge in the garage. I've heard it's code in Downstate Illinois .

Joe

Reply to
Joe

That job is now done and the bondo worked great. Thanks for the idea.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe