Subject Author Posted Replies

Another use for duct tape
Repair a totaled airplane. With pics
5

indoor vs outdoor light fixtures
I would like to replace a couple of outdoor, wall-mounted light fixtures. The ones I have now are cheap jelly-jar types and I would like to put up something a little nicer. When I go to the home...
11
11

I'm getting worried - electrical work
I'm upgrading my panel from 100A to 200A and started checking into the paperwork needed. After talking to the inspector and the utility I'm starting to get worried. Everyone is being very cooperative!...
26
26

Insulating furnace supply plenum?
Both the body of our high efficiency gas furnace and the ductwork seem to be quite well-insulated since they are at best slightly warm to the touch. However, the sheet metal supply plenum coming out...
1
1

Digital TV
I can no longer find the message, but I'm sure that it was on one of these two newsgroups within the past few days that I read an allegation that the move from analog to digital for TV broadcasting...
69
69

How to fix leak in 5k gallon steel water tank on concrete pad
Anyone know how to fix a leaking 5000 gallon steel water tank on a concrete pad? One of two tanks is leaking from the bottom. Not much, but enough to keep the concrete always wet (which likely is...
60
60

Plaster over BB vs spackle
Hi, I have hung BB so I can still choose b/w spackle and plaster. My prospective cabinet maker told me that plaster is inherently uneven and might require more scribing when installing. Agree or...
13
13

Paint sprayer
Thinking about getting a paint sprayer this spring,have 2 homes to paint,lowes has Titans for 500.00 with 50 ft spray hose,are these any good? Also valspar lifetime warranty paint,35 a gallon,is this...
18
18

ripped leather sofa
Good evening, I have a 1.5" rip on the arm of a leather sofa. I don't think any "glue/mend it" will close it completely. I was wondering if a leather patch or something would work. Do you think the As...
3
3

Pergo and Premium Cushion Underlayment??????
We just did one room of Pergo flooring over concrete and used a premium vapor barrier that had a foam-like cushion attached to the plastic sheeting. We were told this is the best way to go as it seals...
2
2

elbows in underground water pipe
Today I saw the town maintenance man repair the elbow in a 2" plastic water pipe, two feet deep in sandy soil. He said water pressure had separated the joint. His solution was a steel stake on either...
12
12

required to bring up to code?
This is more a legal question than a repair question, but I thought someone here would have an opinion. We have some stairs going down to the basement that are definitely not up to code. Treads aren't...
26
26

Parking lot coating - cancer risk
Sealant doesn't stay put on pavements, raising health concerns Your customizable and curated collection of the best in trusted news plus coverage of sports, entertainment, money, weather, travel,...
4
4

Car wash
If I use hot water in my pressure washer and it's 20 degrees out will I crack my car windows?
37
37

finish a basement
How do you do the wall? Just studs and drywall? What of moisture if any? How about the floor, same thing? Studs and flooring? I never did it before.
5
5