14 X 12 Master Bed too small for King bed?

We almost decided to buy this townhome but I am giving second thoughts because the Master bedroom is very small. We have a King Bed, 2 night stands and a small dresser in our rental apartment. I am wondering how I can fit all of this in a 14 X 12 room.

In 14 X 12 room there is a window on one of the shorter walls and there are bath & Walk in closet on the opp side wall. I cannot imagine how i can fit in all the furniture and still leave room for traffic flow.

Any ideas?

Thanks, SK

Reply to
SK

Yeah. There's this thing called a tape measure. You use it to measure things. Get some blue painter's tape and lay out the shapes of all your stuff by putting the blue tape on the floor. Then, use your imagination, if any.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What you could do is get a king size bed with drawers under it. They are a big room saver.

Brian

Reply to
diablo

Be simpler to do it on graph or cross hatched paper ;) Frank

Reply to
frank.logullo

What traffic flow? I have a king in a room just slightly smaller than yours. No problems. three dressers and a chair.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Yeah, but if the OP can't get as far as a tape measure without help, imagine him/her trying to figure out where to buy graph paper!

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

How much traffic do you get in the bedroom? Better question, why?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I did not want to disparage the OP but for an old guy like me, I hate to think that all modern solutions are just found by asking on the web ;( Frank

Reply to
frank.logullo

Unfortunately, for many people, merely *thinking* seems impossible without the web. It's a crutch for those who never heard the word "resourceful", and I think it's pathetic.

One of my favorite posts, from a food newsgroup:

Subject line: Lasagna Message: Can I make it at home? How?

That's it. No clue as to whether it wanted to make the lasagna noodles, or the fully assembled dish. No clue as to whether it had ever looked at the back of a box of lasagna at the store, all of which have recipes.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Getting up and going to the bathroom.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

For that, you need a traffic light at the end of the bed. What if both people have to go at the same time?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

A friend with a townhouse, 2 baths upstairs, a powder room on the first floor and another one in the basement, had a wife and two daughters, about 3 and 4 years old.

They decided to buy a bigger house, and the one they picked had 3 bathrooms.

Said the worried 4-year old, "What will we do if we all have to go at once?"

Reply to
mm

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:r8uTh.6646$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

Yea, a piece of 12' x 14' graph paper at that.

Reply to
Al Bundy

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:BkuTh.20412$jS1.3340 @trndny07:

Photo shoots Edwin, photo shoots.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Well, after all the rigamarole of painter's tape and outline figures, he's still got to use his imagination? What good is your fancy method then?

It would of course be wonderful if in life we could draw a few figures and decide everything. I imagine however, that in the 3D world of the OP, a few lines on the floor wouldn't be any indication of how much shoulder room, walking room, etc. would be needed and how airy the room would be with that furniture. So it would be appropriate to ask other people for their experience. I mean, if you've heard of painter's tape, half the rest of the world probably has too.

Personally, if I liked the house otherwise and the king bed turned out to the too big, I'd get another bed.

Reply to
Nexus7

If this is not a troll post (and I have my doubts and suspicions) get a queen bed.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

I don't see the problem. Going into a drawing program, and making a rectangle of the right shape to represent the room, and then smaller rectangles of the appropriate size to represent the bed, and my guesses for the sizes of the night stands and small dresser, it looks like there is plenty of room.

When eyeballing an empty room and trying to visualize your stuff there, it often seems a lot smaller than it really is. Measure everything and actually give it a try, in a drawing program, or get some graph paper and make some cutouts representing the room, furnishings, and people, and play around. Be sure to do your current apartment, in addition to the townhome you are considering, to have a comparison.

Reply to
Tim Smith

What my mother did, 50 years ago and again 25 years ago, and again 15 years ago, is make a diagram** of the room and measure off the furniture on it, to scale. She didn't use graph paper and I don't think you need it. They even sell kits now with pr-emade paper outlines of furntiure, but that I think is mostly for when you haven't the bought the furniture yet, because if you have it already, you want to use the exact correct dimensions.

**Diagram is too strong a word. Almost all the rooms I have had have been rectangles. You get one side in the right proportion to the adjoining side, and you're done.

The last time she moved, when she was about 78, she forgot to check if the ceiling was high enough for the breakfront, WHERE the breakfront was going to go. Which was right under a heating duct, covered in sheetrock of course. Fortunately, she still had 2 inches of clearance. Normallly of course there was about 14.

Reply to
mm

If you do this often, you need a prostate examination. Of course, this may lead to an irrational fear of disposable vinyl gloves.

I suggest looking for a different house.

Reply to
Kuskokwim

Oh come on, the best people are the ones that think the web is just in their town, "how much is my 1400 sq. ft. rancher worth?" it went on after that but never said what part of the world it was in.

Reply to
Greg