12V Battery charging problem - MASSIVE SPARKS

Page 2 of 3

If it was put in later, even if it had a vibrator it probably would not have had a transistor in it. There were some car radios that worked iwth 12 volts on the plates of the tubes, except they could not make very much audio power so a transistor or two were used in the audio output stage.
On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 22:04:22 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

with solid state output (Hybrid) that used them either - and not all "vibrator" radios were polarity agnostic either - There were quite a few "vibrator" radios thay used the vibrator not only as the"inverter" but also as the "rectifier" - they were called Synchronous Rectifiers and did not require a rectifier tube or plate rectifier to make the high voltage DC required for the plates. Connect one of those to reverse polarity and the magic smoke got out quite quickly (and was not easy or cheap to get back in!!!) (and if the capacitor that tuned the transformer to "ring" at 115cps failed, the points on the vibrator would cook in a matter af a very few hours, instead of lasting for 20 or more years!!!)

So it just repolarized by itself.... ???? That comes as a surprise. I'd think that something would overload and burn out, most likely the regulator or the wire going to the battery.
I wonder what would happen if I just reversed the leads on my battery? NO, I'M NOT GOING TO TRY IT!
Actually, I already got a Delco Alternator from an old junked truck sitting on my bench, and I talked to the guy at the machine shop about making me a bracket next week. This tractor is to be used, not shown for it's antique value. So I'm getting rid of that troublesome generator. I'll save the old generator. If I ever sell the tractor, it will go with it (if the buyer wants it). I'll just leave the regulator and it's wiring there, (and not used), and I'll run completely new wiring from the alternator to the "system".
I guess I will try to drain the battery and repolarize it. Although it still held a charge quite well, it's got some years on it, so if I have to replace it, I will. At this point, I'm more curious if I can repolarize it than anything else.
On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 03:23:22 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster

"Series wound." or "wound stator"
If those 2 words were "Permanent Magnet" it would be a different story
On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 15:29:50 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster

starter. Cranked that little Hemi like a trooper!!!
philo posted for all of us...

If you did this today.... (tears rolling down cheeks) PD looking for terror cell...
--
Tekkie

I've seen some strange things happen - particularly "down on the farm" (and yes, several of my years working with batteries were with a farm equipment dealer - and I worked on the farm for a few years prior to that!!!!)
On 12/23/2015 5:01 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

SWINGING CONTEST! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
On 12/23/2015 02:06 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Tractors are rugged :) It certainly isn't optimal but there isn't that much that can go wrong on an old tractor. probably the only thing that's solid state is the rear axle. The ammeter, if it even has one, would read backwards. The capacitor in the distributor isn't electrolytic so it wouldn't care.
I dimly remember an old test where you would hold the point of a lead pencil between a spark plug wire and ground to see which way that was going but I don't know if that would even be noticeable on a tractor. The theory was the center electrode of the plug what physically hotter than the shell and you wanted the spark to jump from the center to the shell. Reverse the coil leads and it would go the other way.
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 19:42:20 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

That would do it.
On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 at 9:10:25 PM UTC-6, M. Stradbury wrote:

The sparks he is describing could not be produced by his 15 Amp charger! The arcing is from the battery somehow...Mike may be correct.
On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 20:01:09 -0800 (PST), bob_villain

generator. Sure sounds like the charger is connected backwards to the battery

+1 He finally admitted he f'd it up when he had it disconnected earlier.
--
Tekkie

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 03:10:17 -0000 (UTC), "M. Stradbury"

I don't think so. It could lower a 12v battery to 10 volts or less, but a 12 volt charger woldn't spark that much tryhing to charge a battery that was putting back 8 or 10 volts.
Anyhow, he should get a meter and measure the voltages.

On 12/22/2015 07:08 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

This is a long shot. Do you have a meter to verify the positive terminal is in fact positive? It's rare but it is possible to reverse the polarity on a discharged battery by connecting it backwards.
It's the farm tractor part that makes me suspicious:
http://fergusontractors.org/fena/wp-content/uploads/Polarizing-a-Generator.pdf
Like I said, it's a long shot that the entire system might have been reversed.

If your Erection has lasted more than 4 hours.......
You've spent too may hours with your Priest !!!
Go Home to your wife, and your erection will go away!
On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 03:06:12 GMT, " snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc"

It looks like we have an idiot are at play here, using other people's user names, and posting using some unknown newsreader called News Rover 21.0.1.
But I guess when you live in some slum in Central Texas, have no friends or social life, belong to a religious cult, and are not capable of getting an erection, you spend all your time on newsgroups stalking people and posting off topic rubbish!
Oh well, back to regular programming.....
On 23-Dec-2015, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

I have a pretty good thing going on in this newsgroup. I contribute a lot and I get along with everyone really well. I don't want it to end. It feels good to talk about things with other people who share my interests. I help others when I can. And other people help me when they can. It feels good. I want things to stay as they are right now. But only time will tell.