Subject Author Posted Replies

Rockwell Sonicrafter Multitool. Blade for Ferrous metal?
I've got some concrete steps (front of house) where we cut out a iron hand rail from one side using a sawzall'ish tool. We're left with small 'nubs' sticking up from the step with the mounting bracket...
13
13

OT - Barbados, yeah or nay?
A friend wants me to go with her to look at some property available on Barbados. Your thoughts, travel experiences appreciated. Steve
8
8

[SOLVED] trickle faucet?
In the winter I want to turn on my faucets a trickle to prevent pipes from freezing. However, faucets are not designed to meter small amounts of water flow, so it is tricky to let out small amounts of...
5
5

outlet on when thermostat on
Hi, Looking for a cheap but reliable solution. I want a fan to turn on when my thermostat is on. Is there a gizmo that would do that for me. My fan is line voltage. Many thanks in advance, Sam
40
40

1000 watt generator enough for a typical refrigerator?
I'm getting a cheap 1000 watt gasoline generator. Is that sufficient to power a 16 cubic foot refrigerator/freezer in an emergency? I know those compressors draw a lot of power when they kick in.
18
18

Partial follow-up on mysterious snap-trap thief
Thanks for the suggestion that were posted after my inquiry. Well I've tried the string with the peanut butter trick. The foot plate comes with a hole at the end so it was easy to thread a short...
5
5

Multi-Tool Question
Ok, so I bought one as Sutherlands, an off brand, but better than HF quality, Genesis brand. I replaced 1 window and the blade shattered. I went to the Borg and they said I need to buy the...
9
9

tankless water heater
home depot and lowes sells these, models requiring either 2 x 40 amp or 3 x 40 amp breakers, depending on power has anyone installed these and what are your observations / recommendations ?
25
25

How Do You "TIN" a soldering iron?
How do you know when your soldering iron is tinned? I keep mine plugged in for 5-10 minutes then when I try tin it, the solder beads up and just drips offs. It doesn't seem to "wet" the tip. Is it...
96
96

hot water tank..new vs old
For the past 40 years I have installed 4- 40 gallon hot water tanks (natural gas) in my home. Today I picked up a new 30 gallon tank, installed it, fired up and could not believe the pressure rise as...
11
11

"Express" (hah!) Scan-it-yourself checkouts
I would hate those checkouts on principle (on the grounds that they are designed to put checkers out of work) even if they weren't so often moronic: "Please put the item in the bag" it told me time...
77
77

OT Yesterday's temperature
Anyone know of a weather service that allows you to check the temperature over the past week or two? The day's high is all I am really interested in.
11
11

phil's outlet question
I'm going to be changing an outlet from a two prong to a 3 prong. The wires are BX cable and the metal box is grounded through the armor. Is the outlet then grounded when I attach is to the box or do...
5
5

OT - Anyone having Posting Issues using Teranews past couple days?
I'm using Xnews. Hit send. Sits there and says Done Waiting for Confirmation. Never get it. But it does get posted which is why I did a bunch of duplicates yesterday. Tried with alt.test. Same...
2
2

New Zealand deer, er, dear
"Mears shot 25-year-old Ms Ives dead while she was brushing her teeth at a Turangi camp ground. Mears mistook a light on her head for the eyes of a deer." I just bought a cap with LED lights in the...
16
16