Subject Author Posted Replies

Heat insulation of wood vs carpet
Can anybody tell me if I'm reading this corectly? I want to compare the two materials' heat insulation. According to thick hardwood has an R-value of 0.12 using SI unit (not the US unit). According to...
12
12

Buckets stuck
Is this an engineering problem or what? Two of the buckets I use around the garden, etc. are stuck, one inside the other. I and other neighbors, strong ones, have tried like hell to separate them....
27
27

Resurrecting sealed lead acid batteries for outside home equipment (gate)
The lawn mower chewed up the 18 volt AC wire going to the driveway gate about a year ago and I just got around to fixing it. Both batteries inside were new a year ago but both are dead as a doorknob....
21
21

Problem with B&D Jigsaw
I have an old B&D which is OK, but when cutting in a circle, it will not hold to 90 degrees with the surface. (Blade bends out or in.) Is this the saw or the blade or both? And could someone recommend...
8
8

OT Mountain lion killed in Conn. had walked from S. Dakota
< > DNA tests show that a 140-pound mountain lion killed last month on a Connecticut highway had walked more than 1,500 miles east from the Black Hills of South Dakota., state officials said today....
21
21

No gravel under shed pad?
I had a quote for a concrete pad (10 x 8') and the contractor didn't quote for a gravel base. Said the ground looked sound and he was going to build it on grade. Is this typical or a short cut? Thanks
8
8

BR Sink Revisited
I have the diagram that was posted -- it is exactly like mine. The piece labeled Horizontal Rod & Clip comes across and into the Pivot Seat & Gasket -- well I can look down the drain (about 4 inches)...
3
3

Small engine repair advice
I have a Craftsman mower, 6hp, B&S overhead valve engine. This engine has always started on the first or second pull. Open throttle, close the manual choke, give one or two lazy pulls and it fires...
24
24

Trusses up
passed that milestone. Now to shim to grade, and weld together supports for deck. They sure look good up there. Steve Explore deserttraveler's 12 photos on Flickr!
2
2

To create more jobs...
... get rid of occupational licensure, says the Wall Street Journal. "Travel and tourist guides, funeral attendants, home-entertainment installers, florists, makeup artists, even interpreters for the...
17
17

Vacuum a 3M filtrete filter?
Does anyone just fac the intake side of these filters and keep using for another few months?
11
11

A question for plumbers
In one of our bathrooms, we have a sewer gas odor. It is coming from around the commode, not from the shower, sinks or tub. I am guessing it is probably a bad wax ring, but I am not able to tackle the...
45
45

Telephone wires: connecting in small space
I want to modify the telephone wiring in my old house. I don't want to pull new wire (would be too hard). Rather, the previous owner has a totally screwed up bunch of connections that I want to...
9
9

Smoke alarm?
During the night one of our smoke alarms started chirping like the battery was low. I got up and set all the clocks back one hour but it kept chirping.....any suggestions? :-) Don
3
3

Ridgid wrench
I was going through some tools, and decided to hang up my pipe wrenches. In them, is a Ridgid wrench with a pipe wrench handle and screw assembly. But the jaws are different, kinda like those on a...
1
1