11/4 gate valve question

The gate valve mechanism failed in the closed position. It is marked with a W on one side. Does this indicate the manufacturer and if so can I get the innards replaced"\\? Taking it out is messy job, it's soldered in with no unions. Thanks, Seamus J.. Wilson

replace with ball valve, more reliable, and easy off on
with the proper torch easily soldered in.
i dont believe gate valve innards can be replaced assuming you can even get it apart:(
Seamus J. Wilson wrote:

It could have been Walworth Valve co. History here: http://www.mh-valve.com/history_of_mh_valve.htm
The problem with gate valve repair is getting the bonnet nut loosened. They are usually *very* tight and it's tough to get wrenches in place.
If you do succeed in getting the bonnet loose, you probably won't be able to get parts or even a similar valve.
I would be planning to cut this valve out and then fitting a new one in, either soldered or some variety of compression fitting.
Jim
Thank you all, Confirmed my suspicions. Best, Seamus J.

And when you do replace it, include a union for the next guy.
Harry K

Who needs a union with a simple valve on soldered copper pipe?

W might be Wolverine Brass
were it mine a ball valve would replace it.