Subject Author Posted Replies

Low dust drywall compound
Anyone else have issues with the low dust compound? I haven't opened a tub of compound in around 6 years. I saw this "new" compound and bought some. It seemed ok but either I had issues with my rusty...
5
5

Efficient priming technique for tongue and groove siding
I'm in the process of priming some 1X4 tongue and groove siding on all sides before installing it. I'm painting, not staining it (latex), so I don't imagine any kind of dipping scheme would work. The...
11
11

Can this support be replaced with something smaller?
Hi, Here's an odd space in my house under the stairs that I would like to convert to storage: is that big triangular block in the middle that supports a stair. I would like to replace that block with...
11
11

increasing pressure
my neighbor recently replaced the switch on our shared well that tells the pump to turn on and off...since then the pressure has been not so great at my house and i am wondering how to increase it,...
4
4

new kitchen faucet time
When I re-did the kitchen 6 years ago I bought a pullout, filtered, Moen single-handle faucet. Within a year it worked like crap & when I finally got around to calling Moen for a replacement they...
9
9

Just curious: What bench grinder do you recommend?
I always find I need a good bench grinder. Just curious ... which do you use, and why?
12
12

battery backed up Fluorescent lighting
Our office has some battery backed up Fluorescent lighting that no longer work. Each lighting fixture has three 4' Fluorescent tubes. When the red button is pressed, the center tube will light up, so...
10
10

What is this flap called?
Hi, I once saw this nice device for closing the gap between two inset cabinet doors. closes when the left door is shut and thereby closes the gap. The advantage over a fixed gap-closer is that the...
3
3

Halloween decoration prompts 911 call
The motorist is an idiot. I've been putting "a bloody body" under my lawnmower for over a decade and no one has ever thought it was real. They also never called 911 for the body crushed by my garage...
1
1

Take out boiler burner
My friend's gas burner has exactly the same set up with the burners in the picture,I have to replace the pilot(the thermocouple socket is broken) which is screwed on the center burner,impossible to...
2
2

Oversized generator
Hi, If I buy a generator that's too big for average use for my house - for example, I really need a 3500 but get a 7000 instead - and most of the time don't draw more than 3500, will I be wasting have...
38
38

Selling home on land contract
Sorry this is a bit off topic, however lots of repairs were done to this home before selling....... Anyhow, I have a relative who is going to sell a home on a land contract. The price and terms have...
21
21

Ventilation for Water Well
I had a new well dug for the house water supply (200' deep in basalt, 25 gpm) after the old well gave up the ghost. I decided I did not like the looks of the casing, pipes, electric connections, etc....
22
22

what is best caulk for joining metal to brick?
Have brick house. there is a older alumni um screened enclosure attached in back........has corrugated alum roof. Where it butts up to brick wall was caulked, but the caulk has cracked and leaks mucho...

Gutter/Downspout/Drain Question
My house is about 50 years old. All downspouts from the gutters go into underground piping and exit "downhill" from a four-inch black plastic pipe into a drainage ditch. Near the end of last winter,...
20
20