10 year old TV repair

I have heard the 7 year design quoted on many occasions. Don't know if it is actually true or I just believe it because I have heard it so many times.... Ofcourse actual life of the unit varys greatly depending on how much you use it and even the conditions in your house. I just wish they would make computer monitors as good as televisions.... Seesm those dang things go out every year!

Steve B

Reply to
Steve B.

I've had the same monitor now for going on 7 years.

Reply to
Lost-In-Translation

My Sony Multiscan 15SF monitor is 10 yrs old this year.(So is my Sony VCR) Of course it cost twice what the cheapies did back then. Could get 2 17's for the same $$ today.

Rudy

Differing opinions between 7 and 12 years. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi, Wish my monitors quit(~8 years old) so I can have excuse to buy new ones. Never had problems with them since I bought it 8 years ago. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Steve:

SB> I have heard the 7 year design quoted on many occasions. Don't know SB> if it is actually true or I just believe it because I have heard it so SB> many times.... Ofcourse actual life of the unit varys greatly SB> depending on how much you use it and even the conditions in your SB> house. I just wish they would make computer monitors as good as SB> televisions.... Seesm those dang things go out every year!

Something's wrong if you are replacing your monitor every year. I've been staring at this one for at least five years. The old terminals at the store are at least 15 years old.

Not sure where to start looking for your problem -- perhaps a ground loop?

  • How come wine and hard liquor doesn't come in cans, but beer does?
Reply to
barry martin
10 yrs. is

Picture is fine on my 1987 vintage Toshiba. One of the early stereo units. Still going strong. Refuses to die. Have another set , mid 80's Zenith. Was Grandma's set. Rotary mechanical tuner is bad but I use a satellite dish with it so as long as it gets channel 3 I am all set.

Reply to
Steve Stone

bad but

Phosphors wear out. Your picture is NOT fine on either set. It's lousy! It has happened gradually, so you haven't noticed the degradation in quality. That Zenith never had a very good picture. Even when new, the cherry reds were all sort of orange.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor