1/4" crown stapler and Masonite UL

I need to provide an under-layment for some new flooring in a rental house.
My hammer arm is tired. My choices are between 1/4" Masonite (cheaper) and Laun.
Either would be a fine sub-strate for what I am doing.
Never having used a stapler for Masonite,
My only question is how well does a 1/4" crown stapler work with the Masonite? I know it would do very well with the Laun.
Colbyt

Dont use either..both are crap for underlayment. At a minimum, use 1/4" ply or for a little more, go with 3/8" Plywood will add some structure, masonite or luan just occupy space.

Wrong kind of stapler, rent/borrow an air compressor with an air nailer type stapler and buy a box of 1 1/4"staples (5000) for under 10 bucks.
At our place we also used a 5 gal pail of white carpenters glue under the underlay before the staples were applied
Might as well do the job right the first time..a hand stapler and luan is just a waste of time