1 3/8" thick door with dead bolt?

My detached garage has a 1 3/8" thickness door on there with a dead bolt.

I tried to find a replacement in home depot and they told me it is a interior door thickness and they don't have a door in 1 3/8" with a dead bolt (I was told the "lock block" isn't big enough) and I could only replace it with an interior door. It's possible the builder got these custom thin doors built with dead bolts provision in them 20 years.

It's hard to believe this is really so rare because I have seen doors of this thickness with deadbolt in other houses; i.e. going into backyard or garage into the house etc.

But they recommended me to upgrade to a thicker door made for exterior, in which I would have to at least move the door stop or replace the whole door frame to acommodate the extra thickness. The latter seem like a lot of work.

The current door is structurally sound but the wood on the surface has wrinkled up a bit. Which is why I am looking for a replacement and possibly upgrade.

Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
jj3000

Go to a REAL lumber yard or door mill and get a 1-3/8" solid core door. Have it predrilled for both latchset and deadbolt. Stop going to Home Depot and asking for advice.

Install your door and hardware.

Done!

Reply to
Robert Allison

As a locksmith with 20 years experience, I assure you it's possible to install a deadbolt on a 1 3/8 thick door.

The problem is that many of the junky hollow doors have a big air space where you'd want to install a deadbolt.

20 years ago they really used wood.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Subject: Re: 1 3/8" thick door with dead bolt? Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => Stormin Mormon As a locksmith with 20 years experience,

So what are you; an HVAC tech, appliance repairman, locksmith, or flashlight inspector?

Reply to
G. Morgan

I just replaced my 1 3/8" solid core garage door this past summer and reinstalled a deadbolt. Home depot called it an indoor door, but it was exactly what was installed by the builder. Home depot kept me waiting around forever so I bought the same door at Lowes. Ron

Reply to
Ron

Sound to me like you really only need to remove the paint from your existing door, sand it, then prime (preforably with an oil based primer) then paint it. I also have a 1-3/8 thick exterior door. I replaced it with a solid corse wood door that I special ordered from Lowes (30 x 78), but Home Depot does carry them, but you have to wait a month to get it. The solid interior 6 panel pine doors that they keep in stock are all 80" high and can't be cut much. Installing a dead bolt is no problem in this door that I bought.

Reply to
scott_z500

I don't think those are exclusive. You have only named a few of my fine and desirable traits. I could go on, and list a few more, but I'm too humble.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wow, getting deep in here. :-P

later,