What to plant in a shady area

What can I plant in a shady area between 2 large trees? I want to clean this area in my backyard out completely of all all weeds.. and roots that have since died. Can some recommend what are good shade plants?

Hostas

Hosta grow well in shade, but deer really love them.

zone. Also, more about the area -- what kind of trees, soil, amount of shade and rainfall, etc., plus whether you're looking for annuals or perennials.
Depending upon the location, azaleas, gingers, orchids, rhododendrons are some that will do well in the shade in a permissive climate. You may want to use an ivy for a ground cover, since grass won't do well in strong shade. Your extension service will have specific information and brochures that will list plants for sunny and shady locations. -- Regards --