what to plant in a small area

I have a typical center hall colonial with a front porch that goes the entire length of the house. From the drive way the sidewalk to the front door boxes off a little 8 foot by 6 foot section. I need to plant something there. I want a bush or plant that will not need a bunch of trimming or pruning and will reach the top of the rail of the porch. Don't want anything too high because it will block the view of the driveway from the front door. I originally put a holly there but the one I placed there is growing too quick, I thought it was a slow grower that I could trim back over time. On the other side in front and around the porch I have mountain laurel. but wanted to put something different on the other side. Can anyone recommend anything or a good design for such a small area.

Reply to
Larry

madgardener

Boxwood. 'Though you didn't mention where you are. Boxwood is very genteel and slow-growing in Virginia. And a sign of long-time residence and respectability. If you want some color (and are in a region with a temperate climate and acid soil), there are slow-growing varieties of azaleas that are easily trimmed, evergreen, and quite spectacular for a couple of weeks in spring.

Reply to
Frogleg

goes the

the front

plant something

trimming or

want anything

the front door.

growing too

over time. On

laurel. but

recommend

One of the prostrate junipers? Those Oriental hollies are a menace!

Jim Lewis - snipped-for-privacy@nettally.com - Tallahassee, FL - Only where people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Reply to
Jim Lewis

Reply to
gregpresley

looks like there are allot of good ideas, i'll have to read over when i have more time to answer your questions it has full sun from morning until like 3 or 4pm i'd like something that will stay green all year long

Reply to
Larry

Greg's suggestion of a viburnum is a good one. If you need evergreen, look for V. davidii or V. tinus 'Spring Bouquet', but they require a mild zone (7 b at least). V tomentosum 'Mariesii' is a lovely choice but is deciduous and will get to be a big shrub in time - 8'x10' is not unusual - and too much pruning to keep in size will destroy the form. 'Summer Snowflake' is a much more compact choice. You might want to consider one of the smaller forms of Nandina, evergreen azaleas or Rhododendron yak. hybrids. Not exactly very creative, but attractive and very serviceable. Also not evergreen but a very nice and multi-season interest shrub would one of the dwarf oakleaf hydrangeas, like 'Pee Wee' or 'Syke's Dwarf.'

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

I need to know your zone and state. How high is it to the top of porch railing? What types of plants are in the landscape out front? Do you want low maintenance plants?

Reply to
barrett

Oh, if we're recommending Viburnums, may I add Viburnum 'Cony' to the list? :o)

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman