Weeds in lawn

I am new to the site and gardening for that matter. My lawn is dow

about 18months now and while there is good grass there is also a hug amount of weeds. My question, is there anything I can put on the law that will kill off the weeds but not the grass.

Many Thank

-- Gary29428

Reply to
Gary29428

Yes, of course. Go to any garden center, home center, etc. I recommend getting a 2 gallon tank sprayer and using one of the liquid products, like Weed B Gone. With the tank sprayer, you can deliver the product right on target, which minimizes the amount of herbicide and also increases effectiveness.

The other choice is a Weed n Feed type product, which I'm not a big fan of and would not use unless the weeds are everywhere. Once the lawn is under control, the tank/spot treatment approach is far better. Also, you want to try to do it when the temps are not extreme, ie 70s is better than 90s.

Either of those approaches will deal with the common broadleaf weeds, which are 90% of the problem. If you have something other, like crabgrass, weed grass, clover, etc, that's another story.

Reply to
trader4

Yes, of course. Go to any garden center, home center, etc. I recommend getting a 2 gallon tank sprayer and using one of the liquid products, like Weed B Gone. With the tank sprayer, you can deliver the product right on target, which minimizes the amount of herbicide and also increases effectiveness.

The other choice is a Weed n Feed type product, which I'm not a big fan of and would not use unless the weeds are everywhere. Once the lawn is under control, the tank/spot treatment approach is far better. Also, you want to try to do it when the temps are not extreme, ie 70s is better than 90s.

Either of those approaches will deal with the common broadleaf weeds, which are 90% of the problem. If you have something other, like crabgrass, weed grass, clover, etc, that's another story.

One other factor -- you don't say where you're located or what type of grass you have. If you're in the Deep South and have St. Augustine grass most of the weed-killer products will also damage your turf. Read the label very carefully to make sure that the product you buy will be satisfactory on the type of turfgrass you have -- or better yet, stop by your extension service and talk to a Master Gardener about the best method of weed-removal.

Reply to
JimR