Trimming hedges

Would it hurt my hedges if I wanted to trim them back quite a bit. By that, I mean, if I wanted to cut their height by 2-3 feet, would it harm/kill the plant? Should I just wait until the fall? These are not the evergreen type, they are the hedges that have stiff branches with leaves.

TIA, Hawkeye65

Reply to
The Addison's

That narrows it down to, oh, several thousand possibilities. ;)

Point being, the type of plant as well as the time of year, will determine if it's time to prune, and how much you can cut them back. You'll need to be more specific on the plant species and your location. Is a linked pic possible?

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Do you HAVE to cut it back all at once? If you can, thin it out by about one third a year. You will get a fuller hedge, and it will not suffer from shock. My2cents.

Reply to
Bill

How about a burning bush in metrowest Boston Massachusetts - can it be trimmed now?

Reply to
JL

Most likely, too late. Best to prune back burning bush in late winter, just before new growth starts.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly