Trimming hedges

Is this the right time of year to trim some hedges? We just moved into a new house and there is a bunch of holly's that (In my opinion) have grown wild and in need of pruning.

TIA.

Reply to
HeatMan

You might want to check with your local county extension office (or the equivalent if you are not in the US). They are great with this kind of question. I also suggest you let us know what part of the world you are living in and maybe those who know would also want to know what kind of holly you have?

I am just trying to keep mine alive and get the healthy, but then I am not in an area that hollies like.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Heavy pruning should be done in the winter, when the plants are asleep.

Reply to
Goedjn

Thanks Joseph.

I'm in the SE United States, Georgia to be exact. All I know is they are holly's that have stickers and berries.

Sometimes I wish. We've dug up/cut down 4 so farwith about 3 more to go. The one's I want to trim are up against the house.

Reply to
HeatMan

I prune and trim my holly in spring. Then it takes off like gangbusters. (Southern California)

Reply to
Walter R.

Good reference group is rec.gardens. Holly in Georgia is likely grows over much of the year, but mainly in the spring and early summer. Generally, I trim hedges any and all times of the year. You get much better shape and privacy effect if you trim them frequently. I do mine every quarter. Basically do one severe trim to the shape you want. That will shock the plant and it will take awhile to recover, but from then on trim every few months during the long growing season, and all the unevenness and holes will fill in, and subsequent trimmings will be minor, and the holly will thank you for it.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

Trim them in the day time.

Reply to