Suggestions for tree/shrub

We live near Seattle, Wa. Our tree in the front yard, recently died. Today we pulled it out and now have a hole in the front yard. We are looking to fill this space with another tree and were wondering if someone could give us some suggestions for a tree/shrub.

What we are looking for is something that is unique...easy to maintain, doesn't grow very high, and looks really beautiful. I've seen some shrubs in the past that have some pink in them and I really like the cherry blossoms when they are in bloom.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jason

Reply to
--------

I've been contemplating planting a fringe tree for a while, but my soil is a factor against that (very sandy). The flowers and scent are lovely. (I have seen one growing in an arboretum.)

I do have growing as an ornamental multi-stemmed tree is an Amelanchier (serviceberry). White flowers, non-messy berries (which attract some interesting birds like waxwings and orioles), brght fall color. Does need some attention to control suckering.

Pat Kiewicz