Squirrels Eating Bulbs

I live in a Seattle neighborhood with a large squirrel population. In the Fall, they dig up and eat many Tulip bulbs. Same problem with Summer flowering bulbs. Strangely, they seem to leave daffodils undisturbed.
I was once told of a simple, household product that repelled them without killing them. I've forgotten what it was. Can anyone help.
Or, is there a commercial squirrel repellant?
Thanks,
Ed Lockett
Pellet gun?

Look out for the neighbors windows, and learn to make squirrel gravy.
Seriously tho, the only thing I can think of would be an oder deterrent such as moth ball flakes, rabbit and squirrel repellent (which is moth ball flakes)or sometimes dried blood powder will buy you enough time to let your bulbs complete their cycle.
What about an MK 37 :) :) - My dad once shot a rat that had come into the house via hose connection to Washer. He blew a hole through the water line, sewer line, the floor, and pulverized the rat - all of which flowed onto the kitchen floor.

They're looking to get fat for the winter, right? Mix some peanut butter with Portland cement. They get constipated and don't return. Put it in a short length of large plastic pipe to keep it out of the rain. If room allows in the flower bed, stake down some metal chicken fence to cover the bulbs.
-- Tom
I wonder what they use for laxative?

the
without
it
They'd need insurance to cover the use of a lithotripter.

Ed Lockett wrote:

Tobasco or a hot pepper powder works most of the tim Sometimes they will still dig up the bulb and take a bit out of it though. THough, it's just the one bite :-)
Cheers Conor http://www.gardennut.com