Squirrels Eating Bulbs

I live in a Seattle neighborhood with a large squirrel population. In the Fall, they dig up and eat many Tulip bulbs. Same problem with Summer flowering bulbs. Strangely, they seem to leave daffodils undisturbed.

I was once told of a simple, household product that repelled them without killing them. I've forgotten what it was. Can anyone help.

Or, is there a commercial squirrel repellant?

Thanks,

Ed Lockett

Reply to
Ed Lockett

Pellet gun?

Reply to
Me

Look out for the neighbors windows, and learn to make squirrel gravy.

Seriously tho, the only thing I can think of would be an oder deterrent such as moth ball flakes, rabbit and squirrel repellent (which is moth ball flakes)or sometimes dried blood powder will buy you enough time to let your bulbs complete their cycle.

Reply to
Steveo

Reply to
Frank E. Lockett

They're looking to get fat for the winter, right? Mix some peanut butter with Portland cement. They get constipated and don't return. Put it in a short length of large plastic pipe to keep it out of the rain. If room allows in the flower bed, stake down some metal chicken fence to cover the bulbs.

-- Tom

Reply to
- Tom -

I wonder what they use for laxative?

Reply to
Me

They'd need insurance to cover the use of a lithotripter.

Reply to
- Tom -

Tobasco or a hot pepper powder works most of the tim Sometimes they will still dig up the bulb and take a bit out of it though. THough, it's just the one bite :-)

Cheers Conor

Conor Redmond