Shade grass seed. Does it exsist?

I have a part of my lawn underneath a Blue Spruce tree. I want to mix in some new dirt under the tree to counter the damage caused by 40 years of dropped needles, but what do I look for in grass seed that can grow in shade?
The Henchman wrote the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
"willshak" wrote in message
The Henchman wrote the following:

------------------
I was going to mix calcium carbonate and starter fertilizer to balance out the acidity, but my concern is finding grass that grows in shade before I do anything.
Without finding a type of grass that can deal with the all day shade it might not be worth the trouble.
The Henchman said:

Fescue.
Do you want the tree, or the grass? P. pungens prefers neutral to slightly acidic (6.1 - 7.5 pH) soil. The grass won't tolerate the acid. It's really that simple.
How can there be any visible grass under the spruce? Did you remove the bottom branches?
--

Eggs

-A man who lives in a glass house should change in the basement.

Do you want the tree, or the grass? P. pungens prefers neutral to slightly acidic (6.1 - 7.5 pH) soil. The grass won't tolerate the acid. It's really that simple.
How can there be any visible grass under the spruce? Did you remove the bottom branches? ------------------
It's only the second year I've owned this place so still learning my yard.
There was grass under the tree for most of the tree's life but a combination of the spruce tree growing, a cedar tree beside it, and my neighbour's maple tree growing super fast has cut off a lot of the sun's supply. A 3 foot perimeter around the spruce has ground cover growing (myrtle?) in a slightly raised bed.
No branches can be removed my wife says...
The Henchman said:

You're wife is to be commended.
The rest of my comment(s) still stand. =)
And, please fix your *cough* newsreader's quoting abilty. I appreciate that you don't top-post (the default for most of M$ crap), but it MUST have the ability to properly quote. I know many people that use WLM as their *cough* newsreader, that format posts properly. Thanks.
--

Eggs

-Half the people you know are below average.
I understand that Blue Spruce need acid soil to remain blue.

BTW I live in Zone 5b
The Henchman wrote the following:

to get to the ground. Fir trees are the worst kind of tree on a lawn. I have fir tress on two sides of my lawn where nothing grows underneath them. I'd cut them down but they are on my neighbor's property. With all the snow we had this winter and how long it stayed on the ground, the deer ate a lot of the lower branches to where I can now see my neighbor's lawn, so maybe some grass will grow there.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak said:

Blue Spruce look rediculous, when limbed up.

It's a Spruce, not a Fir. ;)
--

Eggs

-A comfortable falsehood will always win out over an uncomfortable truth.

As for the basic question as to whether grass seed suited for shade exists, a trip to HD, Lowes, or a garden center will confirm that they do have seed mixtures for shade.
Walmart sells seeds from Pennington, including a mix with a variety of fescues that are touted to grow well in shade. I think that it is called Pennington Dense Shade.
James