Proper grass height.

Page 2 of 2

it than with an irrigation system.

the lawns I service have irrigation systems. The people who don't water present more problems than those that do.
--
I won't retire, but I might retread.

Actually mowing higher will prevent some weed growth because the taller grass will shade the soil which prevents weed seeds from germinating. However keeping grass mowed shorter encourages deeper root growth and thicker lawns, which prevents weeds also.
I have a warm season grass (Bermuda) I leave it tall in the fall and throughout the winter and early spring (when the grass is dormant) and weeds are actively trying to germinate. Later in the spring when the grass starts to come out of dormancy, I gradually cut it lower each time until I reach 1 1/2 inches. I leave it short throughout the growing season for the reasons you mentioned. Proper mowing height is dependant on what type of grass you have. Hybrid Bermuda does well cut as short as 1/2", but some grass varieties need to be as much as 3-4" to do well.
I prefer to use pre-emergent products to prevent weeds rather than blanket spraying for them. Whatever makes it past the pre-emergence, I spot treat.
You are very correct about cutting no more than 1/3rd of the blade's height. I actually shoot for 1/4 of the blade's height. So right now I'm mowing every 3-4 days. The shorter your grass is the more often you need to mow. Also, the shorter you mow your lawn, the less water it needs to stay healthy.
On Mon, 3 May 2004 20:40:17 -0500, "RoyDMercer"

The Shorter the mowing, less watering? I heard shorter the grass more likely it will dry out. Can you explain?
thx,
tom
************************ Our Sites ************************************* http://www.CarFleaMarket.com - Auto Classifieds. http://www.FindMeShelter.com - Post Free Text House Ads. http://www.PeekABooLinks.com - Adults Only! Free Galleries. http://www.VoyeurJunction.com - Adults Only! Free Galleries. *************************************************************************

I was referring to lawns mowed much higher than recommended. If you are mowing so short that the soil is exposed, then yes, the soil will dry out and you'll need to water more. However longer grass equates to a higher Water Use Rate (WUR). The reason for this is because the higher the leaf area, the more water will be lost to transpiration. This is why it's important to mow at the proper height, for the lawn type you have. If the lawn is mowed way too short, the soil can be exposed and water can be lost to soil evaporation. If the lawn is mowed way too long, water will be lost to excessive transpiration.
Quite a few horticultural publications and web sites recommend allowing grass to grow longer to decrease irrigation rates. What many of them don't tell you is letting the grass get too long has the reverse effect.

shorter grass promotes root growth. less grass plant means more energy towards the roots...