Minimum time between mowings?

I've been keeping my grass at 3" this year, and following the one-third rule, and it looks great.
But we've had a solid week of rain, and the grass was really long. I mowed it at the highest setting, which is about 4".
When should I mow it again at 3"? Will 2 days be enough time for it to "recover" ?

It depends on how fast it is growing. Right now my grass is growing so fast I'm mowing it every 3-4 days. I would say if you only take it back to 3.5" or so after a couple of days you should be OK. Then gradually work it back to your 3" mark. You'll be able to tell because if you mow a path and the lawn is not green, you've taken too much off.