live oak seeds

I was looking at the live oak acorns (seed) that are falling in abundance now. They all have little holes about 1/16". Is that normal or am I infested with something?

Reply to
jthread

They are infested with a beetle larvae, cousins to the "weevils" you might find as a pantry pest now and then.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

Should I do anything? or let nature take it's course?

Reply to
jthread

Just let'em go unless you are commercially growing the acorns... had a customer who called me last year with "giant maggots" crawling around the house. I get there and see what she has and ask if her grand kids have been out collecting acorns while visiting. Nope, they hadn't been there in a good while. About that time her poodle comes running in with a mouthful of acorns to play with and she later discovered the dog had several caches of the nuts about the house.

Lar

Thanks

Reply to
jthread