lawn woes

My back lawn had grass (sod) that died due to water restrictions here in Colorado. I now have dead sod. A friend tells me to just power rake the deadness, lay down seed, roll over it, and water the hell out of it and new grass in about 8 weeks.
Any comments or suggestions in favor of this or alternatives?