lawn mower starts, won't stay running

hi I have a Tecumseh TVS90 lawn mower. It starts fine but now shuts off immediately.

I took the gas tank off and cleaned it out - wasn't much debris in it and the screen was clear. Tried to check the bulb for a pinhole leak by covering it with duct tape - did not make a difference.

I can't get to the rest of the gas line b/c the air cleaner mount screws (which blocks access to the gas line) are stripped.

Any thoughts? thx bob

Reply to
Bob

Most likely a gummed up carburetor. Gum Out or some such product may help, but most likely it'll take removing the carb for a cleaning.

Tom J

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

It's running out of gas. Check the carb needle valve and diaphragm.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ?

Expert: John C. Bridgers Sr. Date: 6/20/2006 Subject: carburetor, Tecumseh TVS90

Question My push mower has a Tecumseh TVS90 3.2 HP 4 cycle engine. The engine starts and runs great for a few seconds if I spray starting fluid or gas into the carb, and then it shuts off. It appears that no gas is getting past the carb. The float bowl is full though. Do I need to replace the needle/seat? Also, the priming bulb seems to do nothing when I push it. Is that related to the problem? I ordered a carb repair kit.

Answer Hello Harry:

If the Primer Bulb has A Pin Hole or is Dry Rotted the Engine cant Get Gas because it Draws Air through the Primer Bulb. Place a Piece of Duct Tape over the Bulb (make sure no air can be Drawn by the Tape) and Try to Start the Engine by Priming it the Way you have been. If it Starts and Continues to Run, then Replace the Bulb. If it Runs and Quits, then Overhaul the Carb and Replace the Bulb too. Blow all Ports and Passages Out with Compressed Air. Hope this Helps. Let me know what Happens, Please.

Good Luck

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ?

Take the carb off and soak it good, in some laquer thinner. Then blow it out. The thinner is highly flamable so be careful and do this outdoors. Wouldn't hurt to have an ABC extinguisher close by.. Put the carb back on and see what results you get. If you have fuel in the bowl, you should be able to assume the float/needle valve are functioning ok. So there should be a stoppage between the bowl and the manifold. . . .the metering jet. The thinner should soften and remove that. I have a Sears generator with a Tucumseh 5.5 HP OHV motor that has an updraft carb. It absolutely will not start without putting fuel in the spark plug hole, and using a rubber plug to choke it with. Not even on the

4th of July, let alone when I need it when it is minus 30 F. Even doing the spark plug prime, it runs rough for about 15 seconds before it makes up its mind to run. Then it is fine. The prime bulb works okay and I get fuel running out of the intake manifold, but there is not enough vacumn to suck the fuel into the combustion chamber and fire the beast. Sears was of zero help. A real pain as I run it twice a year for 30 minutes and I have to keep it in my house with an emtpy fuel tank. A job of damn poor design.
Reply to
theChas.