Lawn Mower Blade Sharpening?

Page 1 of 2
Should I sharpen my blades "knife sharp" or should they have a blunt cutting edge? Which is better?

They should be sharpened on the same angle as when new, to a sharp edge. They don't need to be "knife sharp".
Tom J

Nope. You'll take off too much steel. Just an edge.
Steveo wrote:

at's right. I never 'sharpen' my reel mower blades. I have them backlapped.

Jump back and kiss myself. ($1)
severl oem manuals i have reccomend to sharpen the blade ,then file a 1/64 in flate on the edge.they claim it will hold this edge much longer than a sharp edge.that sharp edge rounds off pretty quick,but cuts good while its sharp. lucas
ds549 has it right. My Dad was a too; & die repairman and he told me to do that many years ago and it works. I get by with about 1/2 as many sharpenings and I am a nut on sharp tools, in fact I have a sharpening service.
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley
Oscar_Lives wrote:

Take a look at a brand new blade. They're not at all sharp. Also, most of the cutting gets done by the outter corner of the blade. That's moving fastest and crosses most grass.
used to take my blade to be sharpened by a lawn mower repair shop......find it cost about the same to just buy a brand new one.
Muvin Gruvin wrote:

a single rotary, maybe. a 7 blade reel? hope.
G Henslee wrote:

make that - nope.
Man someone is making money with their sharpening service. I charge $3 a blade. If it is off the mower. $5 if I have to take it off.
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

I use a 4" angle grinder. It works pretty good for sharpening them. I can't seem to get more than a couple of cuttings before they blades are all beat to hell. I do have a few sticks and things in my yard, but no sandy soil. I don't know why my blades get dull so quickly.
It could be the blades. I sharpened a set that came on a Sears tractor that was soft. You could bend them with your hands.
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley
While we are on the subject, can someone try to describe the entire process for sharpening a mower blade?
When I get a new blade, I know what it looks like, but I don't know the correct "approach" to get it sharp.
I use a small bench grinder, and I hold the blade up to the grinder, but usually I feel that I am grinding off more blade than I need. It seems that knowing the correct "angle" to hold the blade to the stone is the key, but for the life of me I can't seem to get the hang of it.
And no, this is not a troll.
--James--
James Wrote:

These are the easiest tools to use, And with a little practice will b sharpening blades like a pro, But don't foreget to blunt the edge little with a flat file as mentioned above. http://tinyurl.com/9b6r5 http://tinyurl.com/exi
-- restrorob
I already have a grinder, and a vise. What I am asking for is the technique.
James wrote:

Learn the technique of using a search engine while you're at it:
http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&fr=sfp&p=how+to+sharpen+a+lawn+mower+blade
take a new lawnmower blade... it is usually painted black. Take your grinder or file and grind the edge so that the paint is filed off evenly. The new shiney edge should be even and straight exactly at the same angle of the blade edge.
So on an old used lawnmower blade you will make the new shiney edge even and straight.
James wrote:

bench grinders with round wheels is a bit more difficult unless you can master holding the blade at the precise angle everytime...
I dont have a bench grinder so I use a sharpening stone specifically made for sharpening lawnmower blades that fit into drill motors/ cordless drills.
Also I have an attachment for Dremel tools that are specifially made for sharpening lawnmower blades. The Dremel attachment isn't quite as good since it is hard to menuver the attachment around the part of the lawnmower blade which is bent up for air deflection.
I nice new flat file would be the better way to go if you have the time.