Lawn Mower Blade Sharpening?

Should I sharpen my blades "knife sharp" or should they have a blunt cutting edge? Which is better?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

They should be sharpened on the same angle as when new, to a sharp edge. They don't need to be "knife sharp".

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Nope. You'll take off too much steel. Just an edge.

Reply to
Steveo

at's right. I never 'sharpen' my reel mower blades. I have them backlapped.

Reply to
G Henslee

Jump back and kiss myself. ($1)

Reply to
Steveo

severl oem manuals i have reccomend to sharpen the blade ,then file a 1/64 in flate on the edge.they claim it will hold this edge much longer than a sharp edge.that sharp edge rounds off pretty quick,but cuts good while its sharp. lucas

Reply to
ds549

Take a look at a brand new blade. They're not at all sharp. Also, most of the cutting gets done by the outter corner of the blade. That's moving fastest and crosses most grass.

Reply to
Stubby

used to take my blade to be sharpened by a lawn mower repair shop......find it cost about the same to just buy a brand new one.

Reply to
Muvin Gruvin

a single rotary, maybe. a 7 blade reel? hope.

Reply to
G Henslee

make that - nope.

Reply to
G Henslee

ds549 has it right. My Dad was a too; & die repairman and he told me to do that many years ago and it works. I get by with about 1/2 as many sharpenings and I am a nut on sharp tools, in fact I have a sharpening service.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Reply to
Mel M Kelly

Man someone is making money with their sharpening service. I charge $3 a blade. If it is off the mower. $5 if I have to take it off.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Reply to
Mel M Kelly

I use a 4" angle grinder. It works pretty good for sharpening them. I can't seem to get more than a couple of cuttings before they blades are all beat to hell. I do have a few sticks and things in my yard, but no sandy soil. I don't know why my blades get dull so quickly.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

It could be the blades. I sharpened a set that came on a Sears tractor that was soft. You could bend them with your hands.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Reply to
Mel M Kelly

While we are on the subject, can someone try to describe the entire process for sharpening a mower blade?

When I get a new blade, I know what it looks like, but I don't know the correct "approach" to get it sharp.

I use a small bench grinder, and I hold the blade up to the grinder, but usually I feel that I am grinding off more blade than I need. It seems that knowing the correct "angle" to hold the blade to the stone is the key, but for the life of me I can't seem to get the hang of it.

And no, this is not a troll.

--James--

Reply to
James

Stick it in a vise and use cheap mill files to make it similar to the way it was new. A grinder would be much easier, but it's not all that bad. daveA

Reply to
David Raleigh Arnold

These are the easiest tools to use, And with a little practice will b sharpening blades like a pro, But don't foreget to blunt the edge little with a flat file as mentioned above.

restrorob

Reply to
restrorob

I already have a grinder, and a vise. What I am asking for is the technique.

Reply to
James

Learn the technique of using a search engine while you're at it:

G Henslee

so you recycle the metal ?

Reply to
benzette