Hackberry mess

I have two hackberry trees in my front yard. This time of year, anything under the hackberry trees are covered in a filthy black stain. Question #1...What *is* the black stuff?. Question #2....is there anything to do to overcome the black stuff? such as a certain food or fertilizer additive. It's awful. I am in the Deep South, southwest of New Orleans. It looks like mildew....but I don't think that's what it is. Perry

Reply to
Perry

IMHO it is rotten berries and bird poo from where they came to eat the berries.

My solution was to cut down the trees.

Reply to
Colbyt