Unknown Trees in Front Yard! Help!

I have just begun preparing my yard for the summertime. I was out yesterday and I noticed 6-7 very small trees beginning to grow throughout the yard- probably 2-4 in tall- but I don't know what they are. They look like small "christmas" trees, with fir-like needles. I don't think they are pine trees, as we have none in the general area of our subdivision. During the holidays I had the christmas tree outside laying down on the lawn for a bit- before and after Christmas.

My questions:

Could these small trees have come from the tree we had at Christmas?

What can I do to take care of the ones I'd like to see grow?

How can I find out more about what I have there?

Thanks for the help!

Reply to
dsultan

Let Mother Nature do her thing.

Read.

Reply to
Travis

The birds can carry seeds from other areas and deposit them in your yard. Those may be some type of cypress or juniper. If you like them, leave them and see what happens.

Reply to
SedumQueen

How can you call them cypress or juniper? The OP did not provide any description of the things growing. They might not even be trees.

I hate to say it again but something smells fishy.

Reply to
Travis

How can you call them cypress or juniper? The OP did not provide any description of the things growing.

Yes they did. Dsultan said that "They look like small "christmas" trees, with fir-like needles". What else looks like a small Christmas Tree with fir-like needles other than a cypress or juniper type plant?

Reply to
SedumQueen

Reply to
presley

How can you get away with calling yourself the Sedum Queen?

Would you know the difference between Hylotelephium and Sedum even if one bit you on the butt?

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

I didn't see mention yet of it being a Horsetail (Equisetum arvense). That would be about the right height for them now. They are a real pain to get rid of, if that is what you have. See these links for some more info:

They start out looking very different in early spring, rather like a plantain that looks sickly brown. They are more closely related to ferns, rather than trees.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

presley

More information or an image is needed to identify your new trees.

There are over 200 weed and plant identification web sites that are listed by region on the World of Weeds web site at

Some of these web sites allow for quick searches by plant features, instead of looking by name or images alone.

Trees can be weeds, too, if they're not in the place you want them to be.

Best of luck in your wild tree identification quest.

Ray _________________________________________________ Talk about weeds: World of Weeds

raycruzer

To a newbie gardener, horsetail can certainly look like a small christmas tree.

Suzy, zone 5, Wisc.

Reply to
Suzy O

How can you get away with calling yourself the Sedum Queen?

Would you know the difference between Hylotelephium and Sedum even if one bit you on the butt?

Your reply is Off Topic. Be nice and say so in the subject line. Lindakay

Reply to
Lindakay