Grub alert

Page 1 of 2
Now is the time to be aware of white grub infestation/damage. The forecast is for a strong grub cycle here in Ohio.
Steveo wrote:

Can you train them to eat weeds only? because if you could you'd be a rich man.
Clark

weeds they won't hurt your yard enough to be noticeable.
There's always a silver lining.
Steveo wrote:

That would be my yard, I think I have a few tough years to go, moss and I don't even know how many and different types of weeds. My luck is turning!!! lol Clark

Steveo wrote:

Sir yes Sir.
Clark
On 9/12/2007 5:32 PM, Steveo wrote:

armadillos. They're about the size of your average possum 'cept they have a hard shell (hence the familiar dish "possum on the half shell") and small bony head. Long claws for digging and a long long tongue.
You can tell when they've been out the night before protecting your lawn by all the &^%#$** holes they dig lookin' for the grubs. That tongue is about ten inches long. Pointy and sticky at the end like its got pine tar on it. Gets the grubs like anteaters get ,well, you know. Ants.
--
Ted
I wasn't born in Texas but
xPosTech wrote:

customers want me to get rid of the moles. I reply let me get rid of the grubs. they say the grubs are not the problem, it's the moles digging up the lawn causing the problem. then I reply, have you ever heard of root cause analysis? then they ask what do you think is wrong with the roots of my lawn.
http://www.milkyspore.com/milkyspore.htm

rid you of the moles.

Steveo wrote:

true. however worm populations sufficient enough to attract moles will leave visual signs above the surface making it rather easy to determine if worms are present and therefore the root cause of the mole population. grubs also create above ground signs of their presence with dead patches of turf which are easy to peel back revealing the grubs. it's always best to actually determine the cause of the problem before attempting any solution to what is thought to be the problem.

it's all a matter of making the proper diagnoses

when applied in accordance with the product labeling I've experienced excellent results.

make a terrible mess out of things too.
Steveo said:

Yup, same here.
When I find grubs at work, I toss them on the cart path. Within seconds, every time, a mockingbird will swoop down and grab the grub. It's nice watching the grub meet it's demise, and I swear the mockingbird whistled "thanks". =D
--

Eggs

If you can read this, you've just wasted your time on reading the sentence
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

I'm amazed!!! ;-)
Clark

Speaking of grubs, I have some damage in a few sections here in NJ, which is unusual, never had a problem till now. What do folks recommend as the most effective treatment right now?
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net said:

Rip out the whole lawn and start over. =P
--

Eggs

What's another word for thesaurus?

Thanks Steveo. Got a bag of it and put it down just before rain last night. We got about a 1/4". Do you think that is enough? I was thinking 1/2 - 3/4 would be ideal. Funny thing, on every one of these type products, all they say is to water it in. You would think they would give some idea of what that means. It obviously depends on multiple factors, one of which is how easily the stuff disolves, which of course I don't know. In my case, area of most concern, there is minimal thatch, so less water should be needed from that standpoint.
The obvious objective is to wind up with as much insecticide in the soil area where the insects are. But whether that equates to 1/4" or 1" is the question.

1/4 to 1/2 inch is what I go by, dylox is a quick killer if irrigated.
Good luck with it..grubs are coming on strong now here in N Ohio.

Well, I'm not entirely sure. After I applied it, we got about 1/4" of rain, then no more rain for a long time, which may not have been enough to water it in. The affected area is in the back where I don't have sprinklers and it would have been a pain in the ass to do it manually.
I lost some turf area closest to the edge of the woods, which is where the problem was first noticeable. But I think that area was likely going to be a goner anyhow, with or without the dylox. Between the grubs and far less rain than normal during that period, it took it's toll, but the affected area is actually fairly small.
The rest of the backyard came through OK, so maybe the dylox did stop it from spreading. And the mole activity that was tearing apart the above mentioned area didn't spread further. I got too busy and didn't do any digging to see if there were any grubs around after the dylox.
Thanks again for the advice.