Grub alert

Now is the time to be aware of white grub infestation/damage. The forecast is for a strong grub cycle here in Ohio.

Reply to
Steveo

Can you train them to eat weeds only? because if you could you'd be a rich man.

Clark

Reply to
Clark

They generally eat around most weeds. On the other hand, if all you have is weeds they won't hurt your yard enough to be noticeable.

There's always a silver lining.

Reply to
Steveo

That would be my yard, I think I have a few tough years to go, moss and I don't even know how many and different types of weeds. My luck is turning!!! lol Clark

Reply to
Clark

Onward thru the fog, soldier! (look out for that stick and stay the course)

Reply to
Steveo

Sir yes Sir.

Clark

Reply to
Clark

We have protection from grubs down here in Texas, in the form of armadillos. They're about the size of your average possum 'cept they have a hard shell (hence the familiar dish "possum on the half shell") and small bony head. Long claws for digging and a long long tongue.

You can tell when they've been out the night before protecting your lawn by all the &^%#$** holes they dig lookin' for the grubs. That tongue is about ten inches long. Pointy and sticky at the end like its got pine tar on it. Gets the grubs like anteaters get ,well, you know. Ants.

Reply to
xPosTech

customers want me to get rid of the moles. I reply let me get rid of the grubs. they say the grubs are not the problem, it's the moles digging up the lawn causing the problem. then I reply, have you ever heard of root cause analysis? then they ask what do you think is wrong with the roots of my lawn.

Jim

We are blessed with raccoons and skunks for our digging pleasure here. They make a terrible mess out of things too.

Reply to
Steveo

Actually, worms are the moles most frequent meal. Killing the grubs may not rid you of the moles.

Reply to
Steveo

true. however worm populations sufficient enough to attract moles will leave visual signs above the surface making it rather easy to determine if worms are present and therefore the root cause of the mole population. grubs also create above ground signs of their presence with dead patches of turf which are easy to peel back revealing the grubs. it's always best to actually determine the cause of the problem before attempting any solution to what is thought to be the problem.

it's all a matter of making the proper diagnoses

when applied in accordance with the product labeling I've experienced excellent results.

Reply to
Jim

Yup, same here.

When I find grubs at work, I toss them on the cart path. Within seconds, every time, a mockingbird will swoop down and grab the grub. It's nice watching the grub meet it's demise, and I swear the mockingbird whistled "thanks". =D

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

You and a Mocking-bird get along? get it mocking, get it! lol!!! I'm amazed!!! ;-)

Clark

Reply to
Clark

Speaking of grubs, I have some damage in a few sections here in NJ, which is unusual, never had a problem till now. What do folks recommend as the most effective treatment right now?

Reply to
trader4

nature at work with a bit of assistance. good job.

Reply to
Jim

Rip out the whole lawn and start over. =P

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

What do you do when you find grubs at home?

Down here a grackle usually beats out the mockingbird. When I cut the grass they follow behind the mower or stay just ahead and to the right, scarfing up the grasshoppers trying to flee the mower. A real prehistoric lookin' thing; the tail of the males longer than the body. The whole bird is way longer than a 10" pine stick.

Reply to
xPosTech

Now that you mention it, I haven't seen many this year.

The grackle? Or, the grasshopper?

Heh. =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly