Grooves in trunk of palm tree

Page 1 of 2
I think this is a king palm (not 100% sure). Here are some photos I just took today to show a possible problem. Up until today I thought this was normal, but when I push on the tree, it sway very easily and I can see the trunk move at the ground. Nothing appears wet or eaten by insects - everything I can see and touch is hard like a normal tree.
Anyway, anyone who can share some info about this tree - is this normal or not, etc - would be very much appreciated.
If you send me an email, please post to this newsgroup also as I do not check this account daily.
http://www.geocities.com/sammybinsnoozin/palm.html
Thanks in advance!
Sam
I think this is a king palm (not 100% sure). Here are some photos I just took today to show a possible problem. Up until today I thought this was normal, but when I push on the tree, it sway very easily and I can see the trunk move at the ground. Nothing appears wet or eaten by insects - everything I can see and touch is hard like a normal tree.
Anyway, anyone who can share some info about this tree - is this normal or not, etc - would be very much appreciated.
If you send me an email, please post to this newsgroup also as I do not check this account daily.
http://www.geocities.com/sammybinsnoozin/palm.html
Thanks in advance!
Sam ++++++++++++++++++
Good pictures! Was the tree always smaller in diameter at the bottom that way? That does NOT look good. And, based on the symptoms, I don't know if I'd park a car near it in windy weather.
You might want to call your local cooperative extension office ASAP, and send or bring them these pictures.
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 18:25:36 GMT, "Sammy bin Snoozin"
today to show a possible problem. Up until today I thought this was normal, but when I push on the tree, it sway very easily and I can see the trunk move at the ground. Nothing appears wet or eaten by insects - everything I can see and touch is hard like a normal tree.

It looks like it could be from irregular watering. The tree isn't safe. Have an arborist look at it.
Has it ever been struck by lightening?
Gloria
I think this is a king palm (not 100% sure). Here are some photos I just took today to show a possible problem. Up until today I thought this was normal, but when I push on the tree, it sway very easily and I can see the trunk move at the ground. Nothing appears wet or eaten by insects - everything I can see and touch is hard like a normal tree.
Anyway, anyone who can share some info about this tree - is this normal or not, etc - would be very much appreciated.
If you send me an email, please post to this newsgroup also as I do not check this account daily.
http://www.geocities.com/sammybinsnoozin/palm.html
Thanks in advance!
Sam
No lightning in the last 14 years I've been here.

today to show a possible problem. Up until today I thought this was normal, but when I push on the tree, it sway very easily and I can see the trunk move at the ground. Nothing appears wet or eaten by insects - everything I can see and touch is hard like a normal tree.

That tree is rotten at the base, it'll come down someday in a strong storm.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

I thought so too 3 years ago, but it has been steadily growing - slow, but steady. And hard as a rock all around the base.
expounded:

I thought so too 3 years ago, but it has been steadily growing - slow, but steady. And hard as a rock all around the base. =========================== It's been two days since you posted your message, so you've had time to call your cooperative extension office and ask them about the problem. And, today's Tuesday, so we know the office was probably open yesterday and today.
When you called them, what did they say about this tree?

He can't ask advice here too, 'your cooperative extension' is the end all right?

No, silly. But, his description suggests that the tree is losing its grip on the ground beneath. I don't know about you, but that sounds analogous to a 55 year old human having chest pains and shortness of breath.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Not to mention the fact that it's so close to the street and walkway..
If a tree falls on someone in the street, do they make a sound? ;)
Yup, and then they sue you.. It's best to let someone "LOOK" at the thing and make a choice. I'd say the cooperative extension department is one of the better choices to make as to having someone actually look at the thing.

time to

problem.
yesterday
end all

I must have missed something. Clarification?
expounded:

I just

this was

can see

insects -

normal
do not

strong
slow, but

to call

And,
and
Since you evidently know so much about what I'm doing, why don't you tell me.
expounded:

I thought you would've called the cooperative extension service by now. Do you know who I mean, what they do, and why they might be a valuable resource for answering your question?
expounded:

photos
thought
this
time
yesterday
you
now. Do

resource
Thanks, Joe. Sorry, I misunderstood.
Yes, I did - and also emailed a link to the photos. Still waiting for a reply. Likely they are taking off next week for Vet's Day, then the following 2 weeks for Thxkgv, then there's Christmas. I hope to hear back from them by 2009.
In the mean time, I'm taking some photos down to the local nursery and will report back what they tell me.
Sam

Email is a thing of the past. Pick up the phone and call the cooperative extension.
http://www.geocities.com/sammybinsnoozin/palm.html
Added a few close up photos to the bottom of the page. Not in focus, but as good as I could do.
As you folks know, the Ag Ext is closed on weekends and Monday is a holiday. So the saga continues.
I printed out these photos and took to the local nursery. They gave their stock answer.... they had no idea what it was but "you should try this fertilizer..."
Sam

Well- you can tell by the frizzled fronds that the tree is malnourished- is it regularly fed at all? Minerals too? And add the base of the trunk to the equation and it spells trouble IMO.
--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

gave
should
malnourished- is

IMO.
Thanks, it gets the same fertilizer as the rest of the yard/trees - 10-10-10 spring and fall -- or whatever is on the bag. All the other trees in the yard - fruit, pines - are doing great. But as you can tell I know nothing about palm trees. Interestingly I was talking to the next door neighbor about this one. He told me it has looked that way 15 years ago before I was there.
Will post again when I find out something for the benefit of other folks.
PS - I'm surprised that there is not a website somewhere with photos of palm conditions. This must be a common question for the rest of the suckers out there who have these *useless* non-native trees.
Sam
PS -- I don't like palm trees as they are non-native to Calif, produce no shade or fruit and attract lovely rats in the top. I think I have solved the problem....
http://www.buytikitorches.com/images/atp-fb4_1.jpg

trouble
other
that