Grooves in trunk of palm tree

a few close up photos to the bottom of the page. Not in focus, but as good as I could do.

As you folks know, the Ag Ext is closed on weekends and Monday is a holiday. So the saga continues.

I printed out these photos and took to the local nursery. They gave their stock answer.... they had no idea what it was but "you should try this fertilizer..."

Sam

Reply to
Sammy bin Snoozin

Well- you can tell by the frizzled fronds that the tree is malnourished- is it regularly fed at all? Minerals too? And add the base of the trunk to the equation and it spells trouble IMO.

Reply to
Buderschnookie

message

should

malnourished- is

Thanks, it gets the same fertilizer as the rest of the yard/trees -

10-10-10 spring and fall -- or whatever is on the bag. All the other trees in the yard - fruit, pines - are doing great. But as you can tell I know nothing about palm trees. Interestingly I was talking to the next door neighbor about this one. He told me it has looked that way 15 years ago before I was there.

Will post again when I find out something for the benefit of other folks.

PS - I'm surprised that there is not a website somewhere with photos of palm conditions. This must be a common question for the rest of the suckers out there who have these *useless* non-native trees.

Sam

Reply to
Sammy bin Snoozin

PS -- I don't like palm trees as they are non-native to Calif, produce no shade or fruit and attract lovely rats in the top. I think I have solved the problem....

trouble

other

Reply to
Sammy bin Snoozin

I prefer the totem pole look myself..

Now, chop it down, grab a chain saw and have fun.. ;)

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

Them rapscallion Calif Ag Ext folks still ain't replied to me and won't answer their phone. Evidently all the county offices' phone lines are forwarded to the offcice in Davis. Jeez. Tomorrow I'm calling the Arizona boys and see what happens.

Anyway, anyone who can share some info about this tree - is this normal or not, etc - would be very much appreciated.

If you send me an email, please post to this newsgroup also as I do not check this account daily.

in advance!

Sam

Reply to
Sammy bin Snoozin

Dear friends,

I have been waiting for a reply to both emails and phone calls to the = Calif Ag Extension. Other than going there in person (300 miles) looks = like I won't be getting any help from them.

Are there any sites on the internet that show palm diseases? Thanks.

Sam

Anyway, anyone who can share some info about this tree - is this normal = or not, etc - would be very much appreciated.

If you send me an email, please post to this newsgroup also as I do not = check this account daily.

in advance!

Sam

Reply to
Sammy bin Snoozin

I have been waiting for a reply to both emails and phone calls to the Calif Ag Extension. Other than going there in person (300 miles) looks like I won't be getting any help from them.

Are there any sites on the internet that show palm diseases? Thanks.

Sam

+++++++++++++

When I did a google search using the words "palm tree diseases california", I noticed a few sites that looked promising among the 1,800,000 search results. I didn't even have to go past the first page.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Thanks, Joe. I did the same at first also. Unfortunately I could not = find any photos of disease or pest infestation and I went thru at least =

10 pages of links before I gave up. I noticed that many of the links = were to the Calif Ag Ext at UC Davis -- which is impossible to get at = reply from.

Sam

Reply to
Sammy bin Snoozin

Try holding your breath instead, Doug Kanter.

Reply to
Steveo

No kidding. I'll be on the phone again Monday.

Reply to
Sammy bin Snoozin