Interesting Palm Tree

Hello, I recently visited sunny California. My better half is originally from there and so I was looking for something to bring her that would remind her of home. While aboard the Queen Mary for a banquet I noticed that the centerpiece was a baby palm tree, so when the meal was over I five fingered the little guy out of there. I am interested in how to care for it. We are both college students and thus have no place to plant the tree. I went to Walmart and bought a pot for it, roughly the same size as the one it was in, but made of ceramic rather than plastic. The tree is about 7 inches from base to tip of fronds, and has small shoots coming out of the base. I am wondering what type of palm this may be, and what the ideal conditions would be to keep it healthy enough until we settle down in a place where it can be planted. We live in Illinois now and so outside is not too warm. Currently Carol has it sitting on the heater in her room right beside the window, and is watering it regularly. If anyone could help I would appreciate it.

Reply to
Hatley

stolen palm

Reply to
Stanley Jerkoffski

Okay, aside from this comedian (Hey if you're around Illinois I know some peoplel and could get you hooked up with a gig downstate, I only ask 15%) can anyone help me?

Reply to
Hatley

Are you sure it's a palm at all? I'd either describe it in better detail or give us a link to a posted picture.

Reply to
Laura B.

Okay the tree as I said is about 7 inches high, from base to tip of fronds. There are four branches coming directly out of what looks like a spikey pine cone. The base itself (imagine pine cone), is about 2-3 inches wide shaped like a little football with stick like protrusions. The fronds do not look like fans (as I have been doing some looking online as well), but are rather long, tapering at the end.

Reply to
Hatley

check fro web pictures of cycads.

Reply to