Fewer American-made tools - yet another downside to illegal immigration and workers in the USA?

Page 3 of 3
USENET READER wrote:

Really? So then why have rates of ownership of items such as cars, TVs, other consumer electronics, major appliances, and (most likely) power tools gone *up*? It's not that people are forced to 'settle' for cheaper goods than they were buying before - it's that whole new classes of people are now empowered to *be* buyers for things such as dishwashers and jig saws. Those people are often going to buy their first lathe from Harbor Freight, just as they will buy their first DVD player from Wal-Mart.

Were you going somewhere with this sentence? It seems to end abruptly.

Maybe if their own government wasn't robbing them blind they could compete with free labor.

God, what bellyaching! *Cheap* power tools now are better than the *expensive* power tools of a generation ago - and anyone can easily enough order power tools at whatever quality level he chooses to afford. And why would someone want to spend a bunch more for a tool like a drill that will last 10 years, when in five years the newer drills will probably be vastly improved and he'll want one of those anyway?
--
Susan Hogarth
"We dissent, secondly, because the powers vested in Congress by this
Susan Hogarth wrote:

They buy the stuff on credit - which is too easy to get and then when you lose your job you can't pay the debt, so you used to be able to declare bankruptcy, but the banks bought off Bush so that it was harder to go bankrupt.

That the people who bought and paid for the GOP (mostly) and some token Democrats don't want to slow down the influx of cheap illegal immigrant labor, because it holds down the labor costs. The downside to that is increasing the flow of illegal drugs and potential for terrorist infintration over the boarder.

Taxes are the cost of living in a free society. And they are getting robbed blind because the rich pukes are getting their taxes lowered to the point that they won't end up paying their fair share.

How are the tools of today better than the tools of yesterday? It's not llke you need a computer controlled drill. You can't go into many stores and find good power tools, or even hand tools made in American anymore. And I don't want to have to order stuff - with identity theft I would rather go and pay cash for something thank risk my info going out over the net.
I have a Sears Craftsman drill made in America over 25 years ago. I love it and I work with it all the time. I paid a lot of money for it when I bought it in college, and today's cheap drills cost the same but suck in terms of quality. They feel cheap and they overheat, sound like the motor is burning out, the blades and bits made overseas burn out or break quicker than ones made years ago.
Today's wooden axe handles suck, today's picks bend if you strike them the wrong way against the rocks you are trying to break, today's mason's hoes break when you mix too stiff a batch of mortan, etc. Today's cheap tools are not better than
Besides - I rather like buying something in person and making sure it works before I take it home - whether with a car, a drill, a computer, etc.

Disregarding the quality aspect, what improvements have there been in drills, saws, and sanders in the past 5 years?
Jim

Very few - about the only thing that I can see is the incorporation of lasers into saws to aid in cutting.
There are some lighter-weight tools out there today because of the use of magnesium, high-strength plastics and other lighter materials in the higher end tools. The light-weight plastics and metals in cheaper tools are very flimsy and don't stand up to heavy-duty use.
There are a lot more cordless tools out there, but most won't stand up to the daily grind, which is why you see corded tools on all but a few construction sites. Handymen tend to use them because the set up and tear down is easier, since they do it so much more frequently.
"Rodney Rash" wrote

Not smart enough to hire an accountant. Go figure.
JA wrote:

yep - he sounded like a Dittohead to me too!

products. My cousin had a rattle in his American car that turned out to be a wrench left inside the door during production.
Gregor
Gregor wrote:

Exactly the kinds of things I was trying to get usenet to understand. Unfortunately, it seems he either can't or won't. I think he's actually just trolling.
C G wrote:

You trying to get me to understand an urban myth and anti-labor bullshit? Better marshall your facts first moron! Or better yet, show me a wrench and an affidavit!
USENET READER wrote:

Yup, as I suspected, you're just trolling. Later troll.
Gregor wrote:

Right - another one of those urban myths - a wrench in the door. Notice it isn't you that found the wrench. What brand of wrench was it anyway? Dingleberry - they don't use a regular wrench to build cars on an assembly line - they use air-powered tools. What are you gonna tell me now - that the union guys went out and bought boxes of Mac Tools to leave in the doors of cars?
Actually - it is management's fault when there is a strike or a work slowdown. That is usually because management wouldn't bargain fairly with the workers. If management stops treating workers like tools that can be worked hard until they break then be replaced with illegal immigrant workers, then workers won't need to strike!

Right, it's always somebody else's fault. I'm beginning to detect a distinct theme in you dialogue. You're one pissed off, repressed demofag, aren't you"
Thanks for sharing with the group. You're the best laugh I've had all day!
Neill