Fewer American-made tools - yet another downside to illegal immigration and workers in the USA?

Page 2 of 3
Edward M. Kennedy wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@fw.private.neotoma.org wrote:

Why would you want /unbiased/ certification?!
--
Susan Hogarth
"We dissent, secondly, because the powers vested in Congress by this

You make better points!

Fanks. Tossing folks a bone now and then is always a good idea.
--Ted
Tom Disque wrote:

SO who signed your diploma saying you graduated from college, or certified that the college you went to was worth a damn? Or is that an OK monopoly in your view?
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:09:47 GMT, USENET READER

I duno, I never looked at it.

Why bother? It wasn't! From grade school on, anything I learned was pretty much up to me. If I wished, I could've casted all the way thru college. Lucky for me, I enjoy learning.

Is what an OK monopoly? College certification boards?

Grain of Sand is free to start his own college certification board. Zen University, Buddha College, The Socratic School of Sophistry...
--Ted

Jimmy Hoffa was a very personable fellow also -- doesn't mean he wasn't a crook.
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:44:57 -0800, Timothy

My great-great grandfather claimed to be a Frenchman in order to emigrate to the US in the mid-1800s, because the quota for Germans was already filled. Am I going to be deported to Germany?
Tom Disque wrote:

Let's hope they make you go back! Actually, depending on where he was from (I am thinking Alsace-Lorraine) he could have been French or German at one time or the other. Did he speak both languages?
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 01:38:15 GMT, USENET READER

I don't know. The few remaining scraps from his diary are written in German. There is a Chateau D'Isque in Alsace-Lorraine, however. It seems they got chased out of France into Germany in the 1200s by the peasants. I dunno if there is any connection between them and my great-great grandfather.
Tom Disque wrote:

I dunno if I'd make claims to being French, Tom. I lived just across the border from Lorraine for a few years; crossing the border was like walking into a trash dump. They had huge amounts of common litter everywhere in the streets and on the sidewalks. The best one-word description I can give it would be "seedy" or "unkempt".
FYI - many of the local Germans spoke quite a bit of French, too - and they all used a French pronunciation for the town of Bitburg ("bit-bourgh" - which is why the GIs called it "bit-bush"). Just a few miles north, the Luxembourgers concocted a strange language out of it: Luxembourgish, which is just about half German and half old French.

This strongly reminds me of my commute 26-28 years ago when I taught in Durham County and occupied an old farmhouse in Chatham County. Crossing the county line the *pavement* disappeared and my route led past a half-dozen informal trash dumps along the rutted washboard dirt and gravel road. "Seedy" summed it up.
Gregor
C G wrote:

[ just a quickie observation: ]
Nope. From everything I've seen in the past few years, it was the idiot, strip-mining MBAs demanding more profits this quarter, pressuring buyers and store managers to replace the stuff on the shelves with something containing a higher profit margin. So they dropped the el cheapo model, the mid-range, and the high end - replacing them with only one offering: an inferior Chinese model bought for a song, but selling at 80% of the excellent-quality high-end version price. Since it is the only widget available, those who *need* a widget buy it.
Dweezil Dwarftosser wrote:

not started down the cheap tool path the businesses such as Harbor Freight, Grizzly, etc would not have survived. Since we did start down that path, other businesses decided they needed to follow that model.
Dweezil Dwarftosser wrote:

Could you name a few products that people *need* where only an inferior Chinese model is available?
--
Susan Hogarth
"We dissent, secondly, because the powers vested in Congress by this
On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 18:40:39 +0000, Susan Hogarth wrote:

In fear of agreeing with the Dweezil, there are no longer any options in the bicycle tire market. I have a friend that worked at a bike shop and he states that there are no longer any manufactures of bicycle tires in the us, and all the manufacturing equiptment was sold. The US no longer have the ablity to manufacture bicycle tires and we exported the technology to do so.
--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com

restaurant menu and all of a sudden, I wanted Chinese food. So did everyone else in the family. It cost me a trip to the restaurant in below freezing weather and $51.
--
Bill

TVs, VCRs, any sort of stereo stuff other than the very high end techie stuff. You need a phone - they are only made in China. They suck, they have poor sound quality, the plastic is cheap, the batteries don't hold a charge that long - you want me to go on?
I am sure that if it wasn't for the fact that all these greedy MBAs wanting to get big compensation packages if they can get 40% return for their stockholders (when they aren't stealing from their stockholders), and that the Chinese are artificially holding down the value of the yuan and engaging in all sorts of unfair trade practices (dumping, intellectual property crimes, etc.), American companies could invest in employee training, and in machinery and computers to increase productivity. Then we could have a variety of products that are higher quality that are made in America that Americans could purchase with pride and also know that they are helping to keep their economy going.
Last month - there was a $60 billion trade deficit - that is money that isn't coming back to this country to create jobs. It's being invested over in China to build more plants to take more jobs away. It's being used to buy technology to send chinese rockets into space (and eventually with nuclear warheads), and to buy arms to eventually invade Taiwan. It's like investing in Germany before WWII - eventually they are gonna come after us and we are gonna have to fight them - especially with their excess male population!
Susan Hogarth wrote:

Susan Hogarth wrote:

Triangle retail business that isn't made in China. A non-Chinese anvil, or heavy vise. Want some more? Trot on down to a local computer store and try to buy a PC with an American-made motherboard. Even IBM's are made in China... Same deal for a VCR or TV set. (Probably DVD players, too...)