Crab grass!

Page 2 of 3
Ciscoe Morris, Seattle's Channel 5 NBC gardening guru suggests spot spraying with straight vinegar. Especially on a hot sunny day. Within in days you can pull those dead grassse up, stir up the soil, add a little more lawn soil and reseed. Early spring and fall best time to do this. It works on weeds and grasses coming up in cracks on the sidewalk. I have a 20 ft or longer area covered with lava rock that abuts next to the street. I spray the length of it with straight vinegar every now n then to keep weeds down. This won't kill any seeds weeds have left behind so have to keep at it.

Thanks for the follow-up Trader. I am currently mowing twice a week with a bagger in an attempt to corral the seeds. So the pre-emergent applied in fall will help control it.
Thanks again
Chas Hurst
Chas Hurst wrote:

Yes, the ag extension guy said pre-emergent applied again late summer would help control it. Of course it won't stop what's there from spreading by rhizomes. I got rid of the worst spots that I had couple of weeks ago with Roundup.
I think mine came from some shade mix I used. It's confined to three areas I seeded couple years ago. On the web, looks like contamination has been a problem, particularly for grass mix for wet/shady areas, as that is the environment it likes.
If what you have is poa trivialis, it should disappear with hot, dryer weather.
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote: <.....>

That's bogus. Preemergent controls prevent the seeds from sprouting in early spring. In order to kill the plants before they set seed in summer/fall, use a crabgrass killer several times.

They do the same thing in late summer, brainiak.
Steveo wrote:

Funny how he thinks applying it in late summer is no good, but applying it several times is a great idea. When are we supposed to apply it then, 3 weeks in a row in April? LOL

I didn't know pre-emergent herbicide could read a calender.... someone better tell preen. :)

Know what too much will do? Root prune the desirables.
Like I told you before your extension guy did, timing is critical with that approach. Too soon can root prune, and too late won't work. You'll still end up with some of it.
Steveo wrote:

Who exactly are you addressing this comment to?

You. snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net
Steveo wrote:

Well you must have me confused with someone else. Because I was never discussing using pre emergent for poa trivialis with you or anyone else before talking to the agricultural extension.

Nope.
You didn't read this part of the thread?

OK, I see it now. I think what had me confused was I didn't know it was poa trivialis until 2 days ago and was thinking of the discussion in the context of what works specifically for that. When we were discussing it before, no one knew what it was, but the advice you gave does work as one of the avenues of attack for this too.

No problem. I told the OP it looked like a fresh cut annual, but he was certain it was crabgrass at the time. I also suggested quackgrass, it was hard to tell from the pic.
Steveo said:

This would be one of the ones that you spoke of in an earlier thread, wouldn't it?
--
Eggs

- How to become immortal: Read this signature tomorrow and follow its
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Yep. Most of them prevent grass seed germination first, some are better than others at it.
Steveo said:

rgr that. I was referring to those that constantly give out bad advice. ;)
--
Eggs

- Listen: Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Gotcha that time, eggs. :p
Steveo said:

Heh. =P
Dood... I like yer style. =)
--
Eggs
.sig not found. (A)bort, (R)etry, (F)ail?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I may be totally wrong but I'm a dancing fool. ($1 F Zappa)
Steveo wrote:

A Zappa fan? Heheh, I knew there was somethin' I liked about you.
Uncle Remus <sfsf>