Burned up my lawn with fertalizer

I am in denver, I think the grass type is tall fescue.

I used scott's turf builder on my lawn, now there are huge brown spots, which - I'm sure - are about to become bald spots.

What do I do? Just dig up the grass and start over?

Reply to
walterbyrd

Are you sure it's the fertilizer? If you are, about the only way I know to rectify that is lots and lots of water. The fert will leach to an acceptable level. Get the soil tested before you decide to drown the lawn. Then you will have to reseed.

And read those directions on the fert bag.

Reply to
do_see

You should let us know the square footage, amount of fert you put down and the N (1st number on the bag) percentage of nitrogen.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

Yes, because if it's applied at anywhere near the rate specified on the bag instructions, this can't happen. When was the fertilizer applied? How long have the areas been brown and have they received water?

Reply to
trader4

I'm sorry I don't have all the specific information. I bought a big bag, and I have a small lawn. Last July, I put about half the bag on the back lawn. I had some left over, so I did the outside (where the weeds were the worst) twice. The outside area burned up, but most of it came back. Where the grass didn't burn up, it came back greener and fuller.

I used the second half of the bag about a week ago. I distributed the second half over the front and back yard, I tried to be careful not to go over any part twice. I watered right after I put the turf builder down. Suprisingly, the second time is when it got really burned up.

I know it was Scott Turf builder P2 with weed control.

Considering that's almost October, should I just wait until spring to plant new grass?

Reply to
walterbyrd

You DID use a spreader, right? And you DID follow the directions, right?

Reply to
do_see

teehee

Reply to
jthread

don't have all the specific information. I bought a big

You obviously didn't follow the directions on the bag, or you would not have watered the lawn after applying this product. The herbicide works by sticking to the weed leaves. That is why the grass needs to be slightly wet, like with morning dew BEFORE the product is applied. They specifically tell you NOT to apply it when rain is expected in the next day or two because the herbicide will wash off.

Most people here are not big fans of weed n feed products. IMO, they are OK for the right situation, which is when you have a lawn that is full of broadleaf weeds. But more people use them incorrectly, spewing uneeded herbicide into the environment, when a simple spot treatment with a tank sprayer would deliver more herbicide right to the weeds. That uses a fraction of the herbicide and delivers it right where it's needed. So using them when all you have is 10 dandelions or using them when the real problem is crabgrass or nutsedge isn't appropriate. Plus, you might want to read the safety warning part of the label statement too, especially since you're putting it down at God knows what rate. It's also quite amazing that you still can't make a rough estimate of how much you applied to what size area. I could pace an area off in 1 minute.

In Denver, you can still plant grass for another week or so, but sooner is better. It also depends of what you're planting. Blue grass can take 3 weeks to start coming in and fills slowly. Other grasses will germinate in

7-10 days.
Reply to
trader4

Read the label the next time you decide to take on a project that you are totally clueless about. It's people like you that give pesticide applications a bad reputation, dumb-ass.

Reply to
Steveo

Honestly. Kill everything in your yard with a bag of something you bought at wallmart.. then read the label.

Reply to
Steveo

And it's posting mediums like G2 that allow the idiocy to propagate itself. ;)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

hey, it's working!

Reply to