8HP Briggs Flywheel Key Shearing - any ideas?

I have an 8hp Briggs and Stratton riding mower (with no mower deck), and every time I try to start it the flywheel key shears in half! I can rotate the engine by hand with no trouble. I have tried using aluminum and steel keys and they both break. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks, Keith

A couple thoughts come to mind: 1. Use the correct key (the one that BS calls for by part number) for that application. 2. Install the flywheel 'dry' and properly torque per BS factory specs. 3. Ensure the proper, balanced blade is installed and torqued.

I'll second that torque it down part.
OK thaks for the replies... Ill get the right key and torque the flywheel down to the proper amount. Thanks, ill let everyone know how it turns out.
-Keith