Wired my Aprilaire model 60; Furnance Always On?!?

Or you could do what I told you, which is much easier, and will actually accomplish something.

Reply to
.p.jm.

No metal except for brass outside of unit (solonoid/water valve).

But just to understand what you were thinking: if there's a problem with C in general, voltage would appear where it shouldn't, right? Are there other ways to check for this?

Dan

Reply to
Martinic

I don't think i want to change any sequence of operation? This is all supposed to work without any extra relays etc and i just want it to work as it should. This is apparently a top-line product and humidistat and there's call for any extra relays etc. My furnace terminal looks exactly as the diagram supplied by Aprilaire so it should work, no?

:Dan

Reply to
Martinic

I can take pictures!! lol

:Dan

Reply to
Martinic

Forgive me... but you told me what i need (hook up an isolation relay) but i don't know exactly what that is or how to do that :)

Since it should work without this relay thing, i'm gonna keep trying to figure it out. If i can't, though, could you give me some direction how to hook it up? Starting with what exactly it does, which will help me understand the hookup.

Thank you, Dan

Reply to
Martinic

Hi Tony.. it's the model 500 with the new model 60 humidistat (digital). This one has the ability to turn on the blower (not heat) when humidity is needed so it need not wait for furnace to turn on. I didn't leave out the humidistat--that's what is causing the problem (hooking up its C to furnace C). My thermostat is a Honeywell programmable (4-wire hook up) and works fine otherwise.

Thank you, Dan

Reply to
Martinic

Ummm.... after home-owners installed it ? Yes. Probably 50 % of 'defective returns' at lowes etc are caused by exactly that.

Reply to
.p.jm.

You'd probably f*ck that up, too.

Reply to
.p.jm.

Life's a bitch.

Sure - first, you call your local competent trained HVAC service company. You explain your problem to them, and ask when they can come out to fix it .....

Second, when the man gets there, you stand back the f*ck out of his way and STFU while he works. Better yet, be in a different room. When he's done, he'll give you a shout-out.

Reply to
.p.jm.

I will do so next time i'm there (it's not my place where i'm installing this). Maybe it's this new girlfriend that's the problem ha ha

:Dan

Reply to
Martinic

malrescuesite.com/

Lowe's doesn't sell this higher-end units; at least not up here in Canada :)

Reply to
Martinic

I don't think i want to change any sequence of operation? This is all supposed to work without any extra relays etc and i just want it to work as it should. This is apparently a top-line product and humidistat and there's call for any extra relays etc. My furnace terminal looks exactly as the diagram supplied by Aprilaire so it should work, no?

:Dan

I told you.... your installer is an idiot.

Call a competent, licensed tech to come fix your f*ck-ups. When the tech gets there, get the hell out of the way, and let the man do his job, then when he is done, pay the man.

end of story.

Reply to
Steve

Well.. this "idiot" some years ago intalled a Fanhandler, a HRV, and the very same Aprilaire 500 on his own system. On top of that, a gas fireplace, all the electrical in the home incl. complete re-wire, flooring, and even a dishwasher.

When the gas guy came to do the black pipe fittings, he commented how he's never seen neater work.

Sometimes, when you do it for yourself, you do it better. Of course.. ...all it takes is a bit of information. Isn't that what this forum is for?

I teach for a living--English Lit. If you wanna know how to write a haiku, i'd be happy to help. Oh, wait--already taught your kid that one so you can ask him ;)

Thank you, Dan

Reply to
Martinic

Steve.. the correct term is "ignorant"--ie. "Your installer is ignorant". You don't know him well or his IQ to judge his intelligence; you do know, however, that he is missing a lot of information about installing inconsistencies and how to overcome them. That's why he's asking here btw :)

Thank you, Dan

Reply to
Martinic

First i'd have to find out which one is competent; probably end up going through a bunch of hackers first. Or is the renovation business the only one full of unskilled rip-off tradesmen? LOL

:Dan

PS: Remember the professional that installed your electrical boxes all crooked? Or the plumber that didn't vent the toilet right?

Reply to
Martinic

I don't think i've messed up quite yet; i think i've done the install correctly, "by-the-book" per se, but am missing the experience in the field to know how to modify something to deal with an unusual issue (or maybe it's a usual one, i don't know).

Hey.. how come some of you guys don't like people watching you work? Perhaps you don't want anyone to see you not instantly knowing what's wrong and trying a few different things until you luck out with some interesting fix? That's cool with me.. except if i'm paying $100 an hour ha ha

I'm sure you wouldn't want to be paying someone to learn how to change the timing belt on your Audi :)

:Dan

Reply to
Martinic

I don't think i've messed up quite yet; i think i've done the install correctly, "by-the-book" per se, but am missing the experience in the field to know how to modify something to deal with an unusual issue (or maybe it's a usual one, i don't know).

Hey.. how come some of you guys don't like people watching you work? Perhaps you don't want anyone to see you not instantly knowing what's wrong and trying a few different things until you luck out with some interesting fix? That's cool with me.. except if i'm paying $100 an hour ha ha

I'm sure you wouldn't want to be paying someone to learn how to change the timing belt on your Audi :)

:Dan

I like watching your wife "work" on herself with that huge vibrating tool.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

The "C" terminal often a blue wire is the 24 volt AC common and is usually attached to the metal cabinet of the air handler. Some of the manufacturers use their own color code but blue is the most used color for "C" common. I believe I posted a link to isolation relays that can be used if a humidifier is misbehaving and the best relay in my opinion to use is a current sensing relay that will turn on the humidifier whenever the air handler blower motor runs. Of course, use a humidistat to turn off the humidifier if you choose to run just the blower or AC.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Steve.. the correct term is "ignorant"--ie. "Your installer is ignorant". You don't know him well or his IQ to judge his intelligence; you do know, however, that he is missing a lot of information about installing inconsistencies and how to overcome them. That's why he's asking here btw :)

Thank you, Dan

You can be "book smart", yet not have the common sense that GOD gave a brass door knob. FWIW, a *COMPETENT* tech is not going to be the one with the cheapest service call price.

I know your installer well enough to know that he is in over his head and doesn't have a clue about HVAC systems other than looking at the pictures in the installers manuals. Now that you have an issue, you don't know how to handle it.

Reply to
Steve

Oh, i know exactly how to handle it. And this coming weekend, when i get a chance to go re-visit the issue again, i'm going to apply all that i've learned so far from here and other research and see if i can get a little further ahead in solving this problem.

It's called learning--something this installer is willing to take the time to do.

The first time you got on a bike, you were well over your head. Bet you didn't give up though ;)

:Dan

Reply to
Martinic