Wired my Aprilaire model 60; Furnance Always On?!?

Page 2 of 3

Sorry: it's the Model 500 with the new Model #60 humidistat controller.
Dan

Hi Tony.. it's the model 500 with the new model 60 humidistat (digital). This one has the ability to turn on the blower (not heat) when humidity is needed so it need not wait for furnace to turn on. I didn't leave out the humidistat--that's what is causing the problem (hooking up its C to furnace C). My thermostat is a Honeywell programmable (4-wire hook up) and works fine otherwise.
Thank you, Dan

If I disconnect the humidistat, the furnace works fine. If i wire up all the connections for the humidistat except for the "C", the furnace works fine (but humidistat not yet).
As soon as i even touch the "C" wire from the humidistat to the "C" terminal on the furnace, the furnace starts up right away. Obviously, it's not supposed to.
The humidifier then works fine though.
Why is the furnace turning on as soon as the "C" is connected between the humidistat and the furnace?????
Dan

If I disconnect the humidistat, the furnace works fine. If i wire up all the connections for the humidistat except for the "C", the furnace works fine (but humidistat not yet).
As soon as i even touch the "C" wire from the humidistat to the "C" terminal on the furnace, the furnace starts up right away. Obviously, it's not supposed to.
The humidifier then works fine though.
Why is the furnace turning on as soon as the "C" is connected between the humidistat and the furnace?????
Dan
Something is *NOT* wired right.... It could be *in* the furnace, it could be *in* the humidifier(factory mis-wired) it could be something is hosed up in either/and/or the thermostat or humidfier control. there could be a short inside of the control wires too..... If you have a digital thermostat, it could be that its not configured correctly. The list goes on and on....

Is it correct to assume that since everything worked fine before i installed the humidifier, then the furnace and thermostat are free of error?
I've been doing some more research: W deals with the signal to heat, is that right? Therefore, can i assume that for some reason the humidistat is energizing W when it's not supposed to be? This model #60 humidistat has the ability to control the blower but it's not supposed to call for heat.
I can measure W across C to see if there's voltage when i hook up C to humidistat, right?
Thank you, Dan
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 16:22:39 -0800 (PST), Martinic

    Or you could do what I told you, which is much easier, and will actually accomplish something.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
> Or you could do what I told you, which is much easier, and

Forgive me... but you told me what i need (hook up an isolation relay) but i don't know exactly what that is or how to do that :)
Since it should work without this relay thing, i'm gonna keep trying to figure it out. If i can't, though, could you give me some direction how to hook it up? Starting with what exactly it does, which will help me understand the hookup.
Thank you, Dan
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 16:37:42 -0800 (PST), Martinic

    Life's a bitch.

    Sure - first, you call your local competent trained HVAC service company. You explain your problem to them, and ask when they can come out to fix it .....
    Second, when the man gets there, you stand back the fuck out of his way and STFU while he works. Better yet, be in a different room. When he's done, he'll give you a shout-out.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

First i'd have to find out which one is competent; probably end up going through a bunch of hackers first. Or is the renovation business the only one full of unskilled rip-off tradesmen? LOL
:Dan
PS: Remember the professional that installed your electrical boxes all crooked? Or the plumber that didn't vent the toilet right?

Is it common to find a mis-wired brand-new from the box digital humidistat? It looks like a printed circuit board--not loose wire soldered by people?
Dan
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 16:23:50 -0800 (PST), Martinic

    Ummm.... after home-owners installed it ? Yes. Probably 50 % of 'defective returns' at lowes etc are caused by exactly that.

www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On Jan 31, 7:40pm, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

Lowe's doesn't sell this higher-end units; at least not up here in Canada :)

I don't think i want to change any sequence of operation? This is all supposed to work without any extra relays etc and i just want it to work as it should. This is apparently a top-line product and humidistat and there's call for any extra relays etc. My furnace terminal looks exactly as the diagram supplied by Aprilaire so it should work, no?
:Dan

I don't think i want to change any sequence of operation? This is all supposed to work without any extra relays etc and i just want it to work as it should. This is apparently a top-line product and humidistat and there's call for any extra relays etc. My furnace terminal looks exactly as the diagram supplied by Aprilaire so it should work, no?
:Dan
I told you.... your installer is an idiot.
Call a competent, licensed tech to come fix your fuck-ups. When the tech gets there, get the hell out of the way, and let the man do his job, then when he is done, pay the man.
end of story.

Well.. this "idiot" some years ago intalled a Fanhandler, a HRV, and the very same Aprilaire 500 on his own system. On top of that, a gas fireplace, all the electrical in the home incl. complete re-wire, flooring, and even a dishwasher.
When the gas guy came to do the black pipe fittings, he commented how he's never seen neater work.
Sometimes, when you do it for yourself, you do it better. Of course.. ...all it takes is a bit of information. Isn't that what this forum is for?
I teach for a living--English Lit. If you wanna know how to write a haiku, i'd be happy to help. Oh, wait--already taught your kid that one so you can ask him ;)
Thank you, Dan

Steve.. the correct term is "ignorant"--ie. "Your installer is ignorant". You don't know him well or his IQ to judge his intelligence; you do know, however, that he is missing a lot of information about installing inconsistencies and how to overcome them. That's why he's asking here btw :)
Thank you, Dan

Steve.. the correct term is "ignorant"--ie. "Your installer is ignorant". You don't know him well or his IQ to judge his intelligence; you do know, however, that he is missing a lot of information about installing inconsistencies and how to overcome them. That's why he's asking here btw :)
Thank you, Dan
You can be "book smart", yet not have the common sense that GOD gave a brass door knob. FWIW, a *COMPETENT* tech is not going to be the one with the cheapest service call price.
I know your installer well enough to know that he is in over his head and doesn't have a clue about HVAC systems other than looking at the pictures in the installers manuals. Now that you have an issue, you don't know how to handle it.

Oh, i know exactly how to handle it. And this coming weekend, when i get a chance to go re-visit the issue again, i'm going to apply all that i've learned so far from here and other research and see if i can get a little further ahead in solving this problem.
It's called learning--something this installer is willing to take the time to do.
The first time you got on a bike, you were well over your head. Bet you didn't give up though ;)
:Dan
"Martinic" wrote in message

Oh, i know exactly how to handle it. And this coming weekend, when i get a chance to go re-visit the issue again, i'm going to apply all that i've learned so far from here and other research and see if i can get a little further ahead in solving this problem.
It's called learning--something this installer is willing to take the time to do.
The first time you got on a bike, you were well over your head. Bet you didn't give up though ;)
:Dan
Hey Idiot Dan-- hope you don't burn your house down or otherwise kill your family you cheap bastard.

I don't think i've messed up quite yet; i think i've done the install correctly, "by-the-book" per se, but am missing the experience in the field to know how to modify something to deal with an unusual issue (or maybe it's a usual one, i don't know).
Hey.. how come some of you guys don't like people watching you work? Perhaps you don't want anyone to see you not instantly knowing what's wrong and trying a few different things until you luck out with some interesting fix? That's cool with me.. except if i'm paying $100 an hour ha ha
I'm sure you wouldn't want to be paying someone to learn how to change the timing belt on your Audi :)
:Dan