Where to locate a new supply vent

Trying to heat a 27'x15' room with all but one of the 27' sections being outside walls. It currently has 2 supply registers - one on each

15' outside wall - with the return on the 27' inside wall. Obvious place for a 3rd register (I think) is in the middle of the 27' outside wall. But the center of that wall contains a fireplace with a 2' deep hearth and an entertainment center. The ceiling peaks at about 11' and I have a ceiling fan that works well to push the heat down the walls.

I could squeeze a 10"x8" vent to the left of the fireplace that would be slightly under the current entertainment center -- but who knows how furniture will change in the future (and moving entertainment center is not a good option - its already too off center IMO).

I'm wondering though if I put a 14"x6" vent in front of the 2' hearth

-- will that be too inefficient -- too far from the wall? (I won't be using the fireplace and forced-air furnace at the same time.)

Thanks, Eric

Reply to
yogieric.dev

Im thinkin you dont have a clue and are just wasting your time, money and breath. Id love to see your "mess" :-) Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Hi Bubba. I've seen you post a lot. You're not very helpful. Newsgroups are places for discussions -- get a clue yourself and stop insulting people. It isn't doing anybody any favors.

FYI -- I was told by my furnace repairman to put in the ceiling fan. It helped a lot. He also told me where to put in another duct -- but that was 2 years ago and he suggested next to the fireplace where the entertainment center is/was by me and previous owners. I want to know if there is an issue with putting the vent 2 to 2 1/2 feet in front of an outside wall instead of 6-inches from the wall in a room 15' wide. You're right, I don't know the answer. But I'm guessing somebody here does and can probably tell me in 2-3 sentences.

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
yogieric.dev

If you put insulation in the walls, that would help with the problem of the ceiling fan pushing the heat down them.

You're not supposed to put a fireplace under an entertainment center - even slightly. That could cause a fire. As far as the furniture changing goes, generally a fireplace causes the wood to dry out, and the seat cushions to rot.

What would you be venting to with such a large opening? The crawl space? That would be very inefficient, except during those times of the year that you just have the windows open. But remember, the air in the crawl space is usually very humid, so you might need to turn on the AC to help dehumidify the room.

Reply to
Mo Hoaner

Call the "furnace repairman back" for advice, or ask next time he's there for a PM. He can see what the situation is much better than us.

Why not just put a thermostat in the room you are trying to heat. Get one of the programmable ones with the fancy clocks - no, they don't run Linux, or even SCO (in your case). You don't even have to worry about hooking it up to the furnace. Just get a battery powered one, and hang it on the wall. You'll be surprised how much difference it makes. That makes as much sense as the other things you've tried to explain here.

Reply to
Mo Hoaner
[snip]

He's retired, but I thought I'd try here first.

This is the main room of the house. The thermostat is in this room and works rather well. But the current 2 vents are undersized for the size of the room and one is next to a wall of single-pane french doors that would be much more expensive to replace than adding a vent along one of the other walls. (I may also increase the size of the existing 2 vents along with the duct work, but I'd really like to add another vent and don't understand the ramifications of locating it 2-2.5 feet from a wall instead of the normal 4-6 inches.)

BTW, I think SCO is practically out of business, but thanks for noticing.

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
hvac

LOL. The ceiling fan circulates upward which causes the warm air sitting at the ceiling to flow downward closer to the walls (not in them).

The walls are insulated and except for a large set of french-doors, all the windows are double pane.

Very funny. The entertainment center is to the left of the fireplace. If I were to put the vent to the left of the fireplace (close to the wall as most vents are), I'd have to move the entertainment center further to the left and I don't really want to do that.

A 14"x6" supply vent into a room 27'x15' is not very big. Will come from 8" flex, so, say, ~200 CFM. Don't understand how I implied anything about a crawl space. I just want to know the ramifications of locating the vent 2'-2.5' from the wall instead of a few inches from the wall.

Thanks, Eric

Reply to
hvac

posted for all of us...

Maybe

Reply to
Tekkie®

I'm wondering what you would feel like if you pushed a glowing red-hot fireplace poker up your asshole.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Oh shit. Another idiot coming in here to teach us what newsgroups are for.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Oscar_Lives posted for all of us...

ummmm the "Comfort Zone"

Reply to
Tekkie®

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@c28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Still insulting people. Why don't you just answer my question if you have all the answers? Not that I'd really have any confidence in any information you supplied at this point.

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
hvac

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...

I'd probably end up being a jerk like you.

I do think you'd feel a lot better if you'd remove the one stuck up yours.

Reply to
hvac

Unfortunately, Bubba appears to be about as sharp as a marble.

You could engage in a battle of wits with him, but it turns out it's just not fair to fight an unarmed opponent.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...

........and Id think you'd do well to learn how to read a post and direct your response to the appropriate poster. Do worry though. I didnt figure you to be any smarter than the rest of the homemoaners that drop in here drooling over themselves. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Or you could just take some of the crap that oozes out of Todd's head and use it for what its worth. He seems to be an expert in computer repair, engineering, leaky basements and furnace repair. I believe he does a bit of brain surgery too, ......unfortunately he practices on himself. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

No, the only practice Todd does on himself is procreation...

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Just so you and Dildo could fight over who gets to taste it first?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Oscar_Lives posted for all of us...

Oh no! Not during Ramadan?

Reply to
Tekkie®

Tekkie=AE posted for all of us...

Or did he sleep at a Ramadan Inn last night?

--=20 Tekkie "There's no such thing as a tool I don't need."

Reply to
Tekkie®