Waterfurnace Problems

Page 1 of 2
My house is 4200 sq.ft. My installer installed a EZ072 split heat pump. 3 zones. We have had problems from the start. My total Duct leakage Corrected to 25Pa is 536 CFM's. This is after he corrected my problems? My supply is 14'' round. Return is 9x16 . The unit never stops at 30F or above 85F. We have been in our new home 1 year. I've had another Waterfurnace dealer, do a blower door test, and two load cal. which said we needed a 4.1 ton at 1940 cfm. Waterfurnace has been no help. The State inspectors can't get our problem fixed. Any suggestions?

Are the numbers a typo? 4,200 sq ft. @ 4.1 tons of cooling?
-zero

the unit installed is a 3 ton to 6 ton split. The 4.1 ton is from my load cal. from my Nu-wool using Wrightsoft. My installor never gave us a proper load cal.

Thanks,

SQFT doesn't mean anything..... I have a home that I did here in south Mississippi that has 3,000 sqft of floor space and is heated and cooled with nothing more than a 14 SEER 2 ton heat pump.

Your right, Thanks

with
Yeah, but not everybody has equipment thats working properly and transferring the rated btu's.
:-)
Need to get a lawyer on this. The duct is grossly undersized for your system. You have a six ton unit, a 14" round is good for about a 2.5 ton system max. The return isn't big enough for even a 2 ton for our installs.
Now, if you failed to mention that each of the three zones have 14" round then that's ok, IF they never shut down. Do you have controlled zones or just three zones that supply air all the time and each is 14"
If the total supply is one 14" duct and your only getting 536 CFM's; then there are tons of elbows, improper take offs, too small registers.
In other words, you need a lawyer. You may also need a certified engineer for a written statement. What took place was in my opinion a crime.
BTW, Water Furnace doesn't care any more than any other manufacture. They got their money and they will say that the unit will perform as specified if installed correctly. Yours ain't.........

Thanks, He has 14'' round coming out of the air handler, At about 3 feet, one zone breaks left about 10 feet to a damper, 10 more feet its reduced down to 10'' for about 35 ft. One other 14'' breaks right to another damper, and then reduced to 10'', these two zones supplies 3300 sq. ft. At about 6 feet one 14'' goes about 90 feet upstairs to another damper upstairs, it also reduces to 10'' to supply 900 sq.ft. He told the inspector that he had the high speed set on 1850 cfm's on the Intellizone. Does this make anymore sense? or no sense at all? Thanks,RT

You don't know many facts about his system yet your first suggestion is to get a lawyer???

Yep, if he put in 14" duct for a 6 ton unit, absolutely, the installer was a hack
What size duct do you think this system needs for six tons if you think 14 is acceptable?

I think the question should be "How many 14" ducts"

He stated one 14 inch coming off, then branching out of a tee to another 14" which reduced immediately to a 10" with a zone damper. All three zones are that way.
I would bet the installer had to bleed off a lot of gas for this system to even run! LOL

I have been working on this problem for over a year. My house is new. Everyone, I've asked bragged on him.I've been paying for test for a year. Waterfurance is all he sells. We just want our system to work. If you need anymore info let me know. I just need some help. Thanks,RT

The installer wouldn't have been the lowest bidder would he??? And I guess the installation wasn't inspected by a code enforcement officer either.

units. We went overbuget on HVAC and Nu-wool wall-seal cellullose insulation. Everything in our home is energy star rated, If that means anything. I did file a formal consumer complant in Sept. 06. A number of violations was noted. The State inspectors will be back on the 17th, to find out why nothings been done. It seems that our installors think of inspectors as pest. Thanks, RT

True, but reading the information that he posted... I wouldn't be assuming things just yet. Could it be that there are in fact (4) 14" ducts? And not one 14" duct branching off to (3) 14" zone dampers?

Six tons... 2400 CFM... 20" round metal
But, I think the OP is getting all his information screwed up... like the quotes below.
"which said we needed a 4.1 ton at 1940 cfm" "the unit installed is a 3 ton to 6 ton split"

Geothermal Indoor Split Heat Pump, 3 thru 6 ton Dual Capacity. Start-up Feb. 06, My first load Cal. was dated Mar.13,07 .which I paid for. I've paid for two from two other dealers. One shows 4.1 ton was needed, the other shows 4.7 , about the same CFM. They used detailed drawings, Our installor never ask for any drawings. And as comsumers we didn't know any better. Thanks,RT
Snipped
KJpro, you may be correct on this. BTW, When reading my post it seemed somewhat aggressive towards you; it was not meant to be. I have a lot on my mind lately, sorry if I offended you, it was not intentional.
Rich

my
No problem Rich.