Shutter installer broke my bathroom tiles?

OK this is going to sound strange...

Last week I had someone here to install accordian shutters on my windows and doors. The house is a single story concrete block stucco structure.

One of the windows is a bathroom window. Inside is a tiled shower from floor to ceiling.

After the shutter installation, I did not notice anything. Now three days later, a crack across the wall tiles begin to develop below the window (about an inch below the window sill - horizontally). Along one edge is also a vertical crack from bottom of window to about a foot above the floor.

I have a feeling these cracks were from them installing the shutters...is it possible? Could they have drilled or used heavy duty tools to install the shutters that might have damaged tiles on the other side of the concrete block wall? If I have to retile that wall I have to redo the entire shower and shower pan!

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

How wide are the cracks? hairline? pencil tip width? dime thickness?

What kind of fastener did they use to install the shutters to the block?

Are there any similar cracks in the wall outside?

My WAG would be thye used a pound in wedge anchor (I hate those things) rather than a chemical (epoxy) anchor.

check for cracks outside & determine anchor type

here's another WAG

I'd fill the shower side cracks with a slow set epoxy & then remove the shutters....maybe the crack will close when the anchor is removed and the epoxy will fix the crack for good

if the cracks don't close....... wipe the epoxy out of the crack & replace with a flexible chaulk when the epoxy residue is cured

are your blocks hollow or fully grouted?

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

shutters...is it

The cracks are hairline for the most part. Except at the location direction below the sill where the grout line cracked there the width is about dim thickness.

They are all hex head screws. I called them and they told me they used masonry drills (probably hammer drills) and no compressed air guns were used.

Nope, no cracks on the outside wall at all.

My blocks are hollow I believe. I have previously drilled the exterior wall and the resistance was only about on inch or so then no resistance so I suspect it must be hollow.

Reply to
miamicuse